Discuss Socket Problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Stevo: When the LED with the Flash shows, it means that the tester is working in Single pole mode or like an old fashioned Neon if you like. Unfortunately in this mode they will read from about 95 volts so don't actually prove you have a good Live. Just a thought but have you had any work done just before the sockets went down ?

I have done work myself by putting my tv up on my wall in my room where the sockets went down, that was over 3 months ago now though and everything was fine ....

Ok if you put the TV up in the bedroom then that should'nt have made any difference as the Ring cable don't normally come down from the attic, if it was in a downstairs room where the cables run down the wall then just give it a quick check.

Yes i proved it was fine by following the correct test procedure. Its an upstairs room where the cables would be running from through the floorboards i assume so im 99% sure there will be nothing wrong with the install. I have asked my journeyman about this and hes finding it hard to come up with suggestions...... dont worry though i am determined and when i have some spare time i will find the problem :)

Right so if you proved it once you can do it again Stevo. Like I said earlier go through the procedure and you should find out which sockets are fed from where and where your problem is. Assuming theres more than 1 RFC, leave 1 circuit on and go around checking for a voltage. The dead ones are either on another circuit (which can be proven) or the ones with the problem.
Once you've identified what is fed from where you can start looking for the fault, do your r1, rn, r2 tests to prove it's a continuous RFC, From what you have written so far I'd bet on one of your cables being broken/disconnected.
Obviously, at 8pm on a cold Monday night you'll have better things to do than this so go at it tomorrow with fresh eyes and a clear head

Reply to Socket Problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net