Discuss Socket Query in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hightower

In the canteen at work they have an old MK isolation switch which operates a hard wired mixing unit. Both the switch and the mixer will be going to Beamish Museum (Google it) they are that old.

The isolation switch is next to a sink, as in, 20cm above it, and <5cm to the right of it. Well, not the sink, but the draining board as part of the sink. The tap is a swivel design though, so can rotate to over the draining board.

There's nowhere else along this wall (it's all windows except for a 12" pillar where the current switch sits) that a socket can be fitted. Anyhow, to the point now.

They have a new mixer, it plugs in with a 3-pin plug. They wanted this MK isolating switch changing to a socket so they can use it in the same place. I told them I couldn't do it due to the proximity of the sink. They questioned about the switch there and asked how long it had been a rule, and all I could answer with "I don't know, but regardless, I wouldn't want a switch that close to the sink". Probably more so because this is a commercial kitchen, not some tidy old woman in her house.

So, from my description, do you agree with me? I've told them I can remove the old switch altogether but I would need to fit a socket some other location.

No specific regulation apart from it has to be appropriate for the environment which a domestic type socket isn't.

Maybe a ip65/7 isolator and hard wire it or the normal ip67 plug and socket arrangement?

Last edited:
No specific regulation apart from it has to be appropriate for the environment which a domestic type socket isn't.

Maybe a ip65/7 isolator and hard wire it or the normal ip67 plug and socket arrangement?

Yeah, good idea. The new mixer is 3-pin so I wouldn't want to remove that but an IP67 socket outlet is a good solution I think.

The 300mm socket rule is a building reg. A part of the idea is so that people can't have a plugged in whatever being knocked into a sink full of water / onto a damp draining board. If this new mixer is a large, heavy, stable item then maybe it's proximity to the sink is not quite so relevant, if it isn't then I am not sure if I would be looking for ways to circumvent what many would regard as sensible guidance

The 300mm socket rule is a building reg. A part of the idea is so that people can't have a plugged in whatever being knocked into a sink full of water / onto a damp draining board. If this new mixer is a large, heavy, stable item then maybe it's proximity to the sink is not quite so relevant, if it isn't then I am not sure if I would be looking for ways to circumvent what many would regard as sensible guidance
The current mixer is a big heavy floor mounted thing, probably of some worth to the right person. The new model is a substantial weight and size, although not floor mounted - they have a table for the new one to sit on next to the drainer. I've just checked again, and the taps aren't swivel. The sink bowl will be >300mm from the socket but it's the drainer side of the sink that is next to it.

Either use an IP66 socket, or put an ordinary socket higher up the wall. My view is that if it is more than 500mm above the sink, the risk of splashing would be no greater than anywhere else in the kitchen.

Okay, before beginning anything I decided to just double check where it was fed from. None of the modern breakers it turns out, nope, it's fed from this old rewireable DB.

So now the scenario is to replace an old isolation switch with a socket (which is very near to a sink) that doesn't have RCD protection. The cable is in the wall as previously (I think) mentioned.

So I suppose the options are:

A) Change it over with an RCD protected weatherproof socket - I didn't install the cable so I don't need to worry about an RCD to protect that.
B) Change it over with a non-RCD weatherproof socket, and label it up for use by one specific piece of equipment.
C) Drop a new circuit in to the newer board with a new RCBO to protect it all.
D) Something else altogether.

Option A is going to be least hassle/cost, and I'm pretty sure would be compliant. I'm not keen at all on Option B - no RCD protection especially when so close to a sink. I think Option C would be the best practice way of doing it, but is it overkill and unnecessary for what should be a simple job?

Appreciate your thoughts fellas.

View attachment 35592

View attachment 35593

View attachment 35594

Reply to Socket Query in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net