Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Socket ring circuit 6mm to 2.5mm - interesting! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. kkkkk

kkkkk Regular EF Member

Hi all
    Working on a site with a general builder who planned on doing all the electrical work - total rewire - on the job, and is miffed because the home owner decided to call in a qualified electrician and get his certificates - builder has run some lighting cables, any old cable he had lying about (4 core/immersion heater cable/etc), which I'm replacing - and told us that he was going to run the ring circuit to start in 6mm T&E from the Consumer Unit, then (after an unspecified distance) to a junction box to split into 2 x 2.5mm T&E. Obviously he wasn't going to test, or notify, or certificate the work. Like to see the comments :)

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Lollipop circuit ...... very common in kitchens

As for bob the builder ..... no comment

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dillb

Dillb Electrician's Arms

Aside from the testing, what other problems with what the builder is doing?

4. SJD

SJD Trusted Advisor

As Murdoch says, quite often come across a lollipop circuit where a spare cooker circuit has been re-purposed. Just have to be careful not to use choc-block connections and then tile over them!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mydigitalhome

mydigitalhome Regular EF Member

Yes normal in Europe, as said by others use wagos or a (MF) JB

6. kkkkk

kkkkk Regular EF Member

This is the advice I've been given by an expert on the electrical rules and regulations:
    "If anything went wrong it would be impossible to justify why you have not followed IET GN3 in a court of law.
    Don’t do it. Use a correct ring main."

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  7. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

The only place GN3 would find itself in a court of law is under a table leg to stop the table wobbling.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Murdoch

Such as what.

You can test a lollipop circuit for continuity, IR and compliance for Zs ........

So unless I'm missing something, please educate me ..............

• Like Like x 3
  9. kkkkk

kkkkk Regular EF Member

I've never heard of it before, and have therefore not been taught that this is an acceptable way (or obviously an unacceptable way, however I do as per my training) - so I've asked on this forum and had your opinion - the information I posted earlier is not my own, thus the quotation marks - so I can't educate you :) I will ask NIC tomorrow and get their input also - feel free to watch this space - thanks for the comments peeps :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Murdoch

I, as will many others be VERY interested to hear what the NICEIC say - that said they don't write the regs or police them..........

Where did you get the information in quotes ?

• Like Like x 2
  11. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

A Lollipop ring is fine. For a total rewire though this job sound like a lash up and a half.

And have to say I have no idea what "immersion heater cable" that OP talks about it is.

12. kkkkk

kkkkk Regular EF Member

Yes, I am not doing this "lollipop" ring - I do standard radials or ring circuits.

Immersion heater cable is heat resistant cable. Obviously not needed for a lighting circuit.

But it makes me think what else the builder was going to do, and obviously there would be no certification or notification, and no testing, so how would the builder know it was safe?

13. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

A lollipop ring is fine for new install. It's the rest of it that sounds concerning.

Heat resistant cable, as in flex?

14. Murdoch

Good decision by the home owner..............

• Like Like x 1
  15. kkkkk

kkkkk Regular EF Member

I have spoken to NIC & a "lollipop" ring circuit is described as being unconventional, not incorrect, but not advisable - as said, it has been used when alterations were done in existing wiring where an old cooker circuit has been used. The main reason it is not a good idea is for the future, when testing is done and the joint where the 6mm joins the 2.5mm cannot be tested, as it would normally be hidden from sight and probably inaccessible, plus a future tester would not know the format of the circuit. Thanks everyone for your input, I had not heard of this before. :)