Discuss Socket ring circuit 6mm to 2.5mm - interesting! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I don't think there is a need to get personal - and I see nowhere where I "keep" referring to the NIC - I said on the post earlier that I would ask their opinion, then I posted their opinion - this was merely for information and is not my opinion - I have already stated that I had not heard of this method before. Most people are very pleasant and helpful on this forum, but there are a few that make me hesitate to get involved any further. :(
I was not getting "personal", rather, I find it hard to understand why experienced sparks would ask the NIC (or anyone else for that matter) for guidance or comfort on such an issue. If it is not your opinion why are you trotting it out on here??

I have on several occasions when moving a CU used a DIN rail mounted JB for the original terminations and used 6mm2 from the new CU to the JB

Hi all
Working on a site with a general builder who planned on doing all the electrical work - total rewire - on the job, and is miffed because the home owner decided to call in a qualified electrician and get his certificates - builder has run some lighting cables, any old cable he had lying about (4 core/immersion heater cable/etc), which I'm replacing - and told us that he was going to run the ring circuit to start in 6mm T&E from the Consumer Unit, then (after an unspecified distance) to a junction box to split into 2 x 2.5mm T&E. Obviously he wasn't going to test, or notify, or certificate the work. Like to see the comments :)[/QUOTE

It’s called a hybrid ring circuit.its perfectly legal.as long as it’s into a junction box or a 30amp switch.niceic have a drawing somewhere showing you it.had it on a few kitchens

It’s called a hybrid ring circuit.its perfectly legal.as long as it’s into a junction box or a 30amp switch.niceic have a drawing somewhere showing you it.had it on a few kitchens[/QUOTE]

Absolutely nothing wrong with a hybrid ring circuit.
I discovered this a few years ago, told a customer it was not allowed and promptly fried their server in the process of "correcting" it.
Look it up -perfectly acceptable as long as the connections are accessible

I was not getting "personal", rather, I find it hard to understand why experienced sparks would ask the NIC (or anyone else for that matter) for guidance or comfort on such an issue. If it is not your opinion why are you trotting it out on here??
I know a lot of sparks on hear dis the nic and other reg bodies, but I personally have never had reason to complain about them.
Your comment on hard to understand why experienced sparks contact nic for advice is strange, as that is one of there functions. You could say it's hard to understand why experienced sparks ask this forum for advice.

I have contacted the nic in the past for a second opinion, but I know in the end it's my decision that matters.
I've also contacted this forum for advice.
Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.

I have spoken to NIC & a "lollipop" ring circuit is described as being unconventional, not incorrect, but not advisable - as said, it has been used when alterations were done in existing wiring where an old cooker circuit has been used. The main reason it is not a good idea is for the future, when testing is done and the joint where the 6mm joins the 2.5mm cannot be tested, as it would normally be hidden from sight and probably inaccessible, plus a future tester would not know the format of the circuit. Thanks everyone for your input, I had not heard of this before. :)
Run a 6mm to an isolator then a ring from there on, quite popular in schools, workshops, labs etc.

Reply to Socket ring circuit 6mm to 2.5mm - interesting! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock