Discuss Socket & See tester in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Dannydandan

Evening,

I use a Socket & See tester instrument to provide a means of confirming safe isolation before working on boilers.

Can anyone explain why I am required to press the touch pad at the bottom of the test instrument in order for it to perform a polarity test?

I understand what polarity is and why I'm testing it, but I don't understand what the significance of this pad is i.e., what does me pressing the pad actually do to the test instrument?

I've asked colleagues and trainers but no one can answer this question!

Many thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan, Welcome to the forum.

Edited - removed comment as I pre-empted the wrong kind of tester in my response.

Last edited:
What kind of tester is it? Socket & See is a brand name; they make several different kinds of tester.

What Socket and See device is it? Doesn't sound like a suitable instrument for safe isolation? Does it comply to GS38?

Thanks,

The socket & see tester is a 2 pole test instrument. It tests for correct voltage, earth loop impedance and polarity.

Secondly, most boiler electrical connections are made via a spur switched socket so there is no means of safely proving electrical isolation unless using proper test equipment. Even if there was a plug this doesn't account for possible 240v on switch live connections.

Anyway, this is to digress, my point is why I have to press the pad. Thanks anyway though...

As DW use an voltage tester, for example Megger dcm 340. Socket an see have there place don't get me wrong, I swear by martindale check plug had them for many decades.

My bad I didn't realise they had expanded their range of the basic plug unit and volt stick, I assume you have a one of these as you question is about the polarity button.
Socket & See tester socket-_-see-pdl234 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Evening,

I use a Socket & See tester instrument to provide a means of confirming safe isolation before working on boilers.

Can anyone explain why I am required to press the touch pad at the bottom of the test instrument in order for it to perform a polarity test?

I understand what polarity is and why I'm testing it, but I don't understand what the significance of this pad is i.e., what does me pressing the pad actually do to the test instrument?

I've asked colleagues and trainers but no one can answer this question!

Many thanks,

Dan

It appears that the 'Touch Pad' is exactly that. It's not a switch, it's using your body as a (high impedance) ground reference. It can therefore determine whether the incoming supply has been connected correctly. In the case of a TN-C-S supply, where the 'earth' terminal is provided by a connection to the neutral, other methods of determining correct supply polarity wouldn't work as there's no independent ground reference.

Socket and See Documents

Sounds like it works in a similar manner to a neon screwdriver.

Yep,you can get them brighter,at the end of a hard,sweaty day...

The previous Megger TP voltage tester,had a touch pad,at the rear of the handle,which is omitted on the new model.

The voltage <than,>than,seems superfluous,as <203 or >253 could be a problem,or installations where no problem has been noticed.

Reply to Socket & See tester in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock