Discuss Socket Set's in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Morty

Hi there,

I have searched for what I'm looking for but I'm new on here so I probably didn't do a very good job of it.

I am looking to buy a socket set but I need some advice on sizing. What is the best size to have for most industrial use? 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2"??

Its the only thing I have never bought and would like to get a half decent one. I will spend about £100, has anyone got any suggestions?

And is there anyway of getting some kind of socket set to tighten nuts and bolts in 41x41 unit strut??

Thanks peeps :)

as mainly a service engineer i find a 1/4drive metric socket set does the job, in my case i have a small adjustable spanner and waterpump pliers and a selection of metric spanners

as for what to get well depends on how much you want to spend... bacho is good and can be picked up at reasonable prices, my socket set is from snap on, its expensive but one of best you can get and guaranteed for life, halfords do some good ones and also look at machine mart

Got the Bahco set mentioned above. Great bit of kit. A decent kit will give you most of the common sizes you'll need. I'd go for 1/2" drive not 1/4" personally.

Bahco ½" Socket Set 24Pcs - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

domdiddlly Teng tools are great but have a habbit of growing legs and walking. Guatrentee doesnt cover runaways. If its for ocational use and in a garage or a van only to be used every few wekks no probs but not for on a site.

draper expert do a set, 3/8 drive , and a patent socket design that allows the bolt to gor right through without bottoming on the socket, ideal for running nuts up threaded rod. part no.VTX71AM. stock no. 71244. check it out on draper's website.

Another Teng user. Bought an 3/4 reversible ratchet from eBay and a selection of Teng sockets to go on it in the most common sizes I use. Used to own a Bahco socket set which had about 100 pieces and I never carried it because it was so big. The Teng and a selection of sockets is kept in a zipped bag in my toolbag.

Reply to Socket Set's in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net