Discuss Sockets above a kitchen worktop in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not as far as i know,however you would need to make sure that plugs can be easily used on the sockets,but you already know that,i had the niceic man inspect a job a few years back and the sockets didnt have much clearance from the worktop,nic man said to me you could of mounted them sideways,he was serious,but that would look awful.

NICEIC reccommend min height of 100mm above worktop. Mainly this is to allow cables to not be under strain when bent.

Thanks all, got into a conversation with another spark today and it sounds like we were both right but talking different guides. Cheers

I always go for 1200mm to bottom of socket from FFL (finished floor level) but dont do what I only done once, forgot about the granite upstand. came back to second fix and sockets were sat about 2mm above it... so you can imagine the hassle I had rechasing and sorting it all out - whoops !

Its in the green book 'Electricians guide to the building regs' P61 ( 5.2.2 vi )

'To prevent damage to the plug top and flexible cable on insertion and withdrawal the centre of a socket-outlet should be a minimum of 150mm above the work surface '

I always go for 1200mm to bottom of socket from FFL (finished floor level) but dont do what I only done once, forgot about the granite upstand. came back to second fix and sockets were sat about 2mm above it... so you can imagine the hassle I had rechasing and sorting it all out - whoops !

could have inverted the socket fronts------------- different, lol

Reply to Sockets above a kitchen worktop in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net