Discuss Sockets for built in Fridge in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

samwardill

My question is about regulations for installation of sockets for built in fridges. I believe that the regulation states that the socket should be accessible and that the common interpretation of this is that the socket is normally placed directly behind the fridge mounted on the the wall with a further fused isolating switch mounted elsewhere in a more accessible place. Is there anywhere in the regulations (or elsewhere) that actually states that this is best practice?

I am in dispute with the supplier of my tall built in fridge. I may have to take them to court. I had a problem after the fridge was installed and it leaked water. Ultimately we found that the plug (which was plugged into a socket at the back of the fridge) was dislodging the water evaporation tray when the fridge was pushed back into position. The leaking water caused damage to my new kitchen units.

I have argued that the fridge supplier is liable for the damage (under the sale of goods act) because the fridge was installed according to instructions following normal industry best practice (with the socket behind the fridge). Therefore the fridge design was at fault because it leaked when installed properly. The fridge supplier has argued that the kitchen installer & electrician that positioned the socket were liable because the fridge was not installed properly.

I need some evidence that I can use in court to demonstrate that installing the socket behind the fridge is normal industry best practice. Can anyone help point me in the direction of the evidence that I need?

never install sockets behind built -in appliances. they're that tight fitting that even if you can get them in with a socket and plug behind, that's what's caused the problem. the installers should have noticed this and got you ( or your electrician) to move it.

The fridge will state a clearance or give dimensions required , who-ever fitted the fridge should have checked the clearance before pushing it back, if the Electricians could have got access to the fridge details prior to install you have a case that he positioned the socket incorrectly ...If it was an unknown then all he needed to do was have a remote point to isolate the socket (Spur) as it not routinely accessible for the user to turn the fridge off.

The manufacturer of the fridge will have provided with the fridge all the instructions for its use and installation, following these would have shown the issue up front and you could then bring it up with the Electrician that the socket is positioned incorrectly. If he followed a set of plans provided by say the supplier of the kitchen then he is exempt and you had the chance to move the socket and forward the bill to the person/company that drafted the layout and positioning of the electrics.

You obviously have suffered financial heartache here and rightfully angered to suit but if you start blaming and attacking the wrong people then you could lose out on thousands of pounds legal costs.

I don't have all the info thus merely given examples of scenario's above but the manufacturer of the fridge is the least likely to be liable as their fridge was struck by an obtrusion that fell within the clearance zone that will almost certainly be available upfront and supplied with the installation guide.

Key points...

Was there a kitchen plan for others to follow including the electric positions?
Who fitted the fridge?
Were the kitchen appliances sold as a package with the kitchen or chosen afterwards ... was there an opportunity to access the necessary info like clearance etc?

Ive wired a few kitchens as a third party to the kitchen fitting company and have had all this before and find info is hard to get and have had to make last minute alterations, I clued my customer up first and worked on a hourly rate refusing to give a price for this exact problem.
I always ensured I was on site when the appliances were fitted to make sure all went ok.

You situe' can be made good without any major works if you have a spur to isolate the socket point..... change the socket point to a flatplate connection unit and cut the plug off.

PS I take it the water is out of the evapouration tray that was dislodged by the plug .... yes water will have leaked but really how much damage has a little water done here - are we making a mountain out of a molehill.... don't bite your nose off here to spite your face it may cost you financially and the heartache that goes with it won't bode well for your mental health and blood pressure.

Last edited:
The fridge will state a clearance or give dimensions required , who-ever fitted the fridge should have checked the clearance before pushing it back, if the Electricians could have got access to the fridge details prior to install you have a case that he positioned the socket incorrectly ...If it was an unknown then all he needed to do was have a remote point to isolate the socket (Spur) as it not routinely accessible for the user to turn the fridge off.

The manufacturer of the fridge will have provided with the fridge all the instructions for its use and installation, following these would have shown the issue up front and you could then bring it up with the Electrician that the socket is positioned incorrectly. If he followed a set of plans provided by say the supplier of the kitchen then he is exempt and you had the chance to move the socket and forward the bill to the person/company that drafted the layout and positioning of the electrics.

You obviously have suffered financial heartache here and rightfully angered to suit but if you start blaming and attacking the wrong people then you could lose out on thousands of pounds legal costs.

I don't have all the info thus merely given examples of scenario's above but the manufacturer of the fridge is the least likely to be liable as their fridge was struck by an obtrusion that fell within the clearance zone that will almost certainly be available upfront and supplied with the installation guide.

Key points...

Was there a kitchen plan for others to follow including the electric positions?
Who fitted the fridge?
Were the kitchen appliances sold as a package with the kitchen or chosen afterwards ... was there an opportunity to access the necessary info like clearance etc?

Ive wired a few kitchens as a third party to the kitchen fitting company and have had all this before and find info is hard to get and have had to make last minute alterations, I clued my customer up first and worked on a hourly rate refusing to give a price for this exact problem.
I always ensured I was on site when the appliances were fitted to make sure all went ok.

You situe' can be made good without any major works if you have a spur to isolate the socket point..... change the socket point to a flatplate connection unit and cut the plug off.

PS I take it the water is out of the evapouration tray that was dislodged by the plug .... yes water will have leaked but really how much damage has a little water done here - are we making a mountain out of a molehill.... don't bite your nose off here to spite your face it may cost you financially and the heartache that goes with it won't bode well for your mental health and blood pressure.

that is quite possibly one of the best replies to a question on here I've ever read.
I gave you a like And a thanks for that DW!

Reply to Sockets for built in Fridge in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net