Discuss Sockets in and around gas hobs. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I know this is a subject that has come up a million time in the past but hear goes.
I have a customer that has a socket above her gas hob just off to one side but it's like 500mm above work top and I'm not overly sure what to do with it.
I know everyone talks about 300mm from sinks and hob but had a word with the nic tech and he said hobs don't matter could be 100mm away.
What are people's view on this
Many thanks.

I know this is a subject that has come up a million time in the past but hear goes.
I have a customer that has a socket above her gas hob just off to one side but it's like 500mm above work top and I'm not overly sure what to do with it.
I know everyone talks about 300mm from sinks and hob but had a word with the nic tech and he said hobs don't matter could be 100mm away.
Many thanks.
Gene what's Eal mean on your profile out of interest.

They need to be suitable for the environment.
The building regs show , I think , 300mm
They don't, but some of the so-called "guides" suggest 300mm as a reasonable distance.
But we are talking about a clearance distance to the side of the hob.
The OP says
above her gas hob

@Gene Powell can you clarify what you mean please. Obviously the socket cannot be above the hob!

How about posting up a pic of the socket and the hob, so we can get a better picture.

Many thanks.

Who Cares? unless it is directly above a gas ring or in a dangerous place I wouldn't worry about it.

As a competent proffesional you need to make a judgement on if the position of the socket is suitable for the environment it has been installed (ie it’s location to the hob) based on the evidence in front of you.

Building Regulations have a clear definition but again, you will need to satisfy yourself that this installation falls under BS6172 which then refers to Part P.

Correct however we are required to follow it on sites we work on.
If not then the building inspector will have us move any accessories that don’t follow the guide so it’s best we follow it ,as compliance with it is not difficult

Shame the muppets at the IET can’t copy and paste this into BS7671

Correct however we are required to follow it on sites we work on.
If not then the building inspector will have us move any accessories that don’t follow the guide so it’s best we follow it ,as compliance with it is not difficult

Shame the muppets at the IET can’t copy and paste this into BS7671

Reply to Sockets in and around gas hobs. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net