Discuss Sockets over cookers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

joe barnett

Hi,
Are there any minimum dimensions that you can locate a socket above a cooker which does not have a hob facility?
Also could you tell me the relevant guidance document which states such dimensions.

If i do domestic sockets (RARE) i try and put the worktop sockets about 200mm above the finnished worktop and wouldnt put a socket above an oven regardless of hob unit or not but would put it about 500mm either side.

I cant think of any requierment just common sence.

Hi there.

I would advise against siting a socket outlet above a cooker, as this cooker may get replaced in the future for one with a hob arrangement.

Position it to either side, better job.;)

http://---------------/Publish/WireRegs/PartP-WM-Autumn2004.pdf

Special locations and kichens start on Page 9:)

Hi,
Are there any minimum dimensions that you can locate a socket above a cooker which does not have a hob facility?
Also could you tell me the relevant guidance document which states such dimensions.

Doesn't that make it an oven then?

If there are no hob facility then what is on the top of it? worktop? metal?

As others have said already, I would put the socket elsewhere incase the cooker gets replaced, but i'm guessing that this is no ordinary kitchen or cooker and hence the question. Technically you are to avoid hobs for the simple objective of avoiding the heat, so you may be allowed to install if there is no chance of there being any heat influence on the socket or its plug/lead.

Chaps,

Its possible that the OP may be installing a double oven just below eye level with a work top over and maybe use that space for a microwave which would be plugged into the CCU above the work top.

:cool:Thanks for all your information.
The cooker is a fitted unit type which fits under the worktop similar to fitted dishwashers etc.
The socket is located 300mm away so i am happy with that. It just seemed a bit odd that there wasn't any clear guidance even where hobs are concerned. All the guidance states is that sockets 'should not be located above hobs'. Above is very vague. I have to say that i would take the 300mm min as a guide also similar to the sink requirement.
Cheers

:cool:Thanks for all your information.
The cooker is a fitted unit type which fits under the worktop similar to fitted dishwashers etc.
The socket is located 300mm away so i am happy with that. It just seemed a bit odd that there wasn't any clear guidance even where hobs are concerned. All the guidance states is that sockets 'should not be located above hobs'. Above is very vague. I have to say that i would take the 300mm min as a guide also similar to the sink requirement.
Cheers

The reason for sockets above cooker hobs is one of not scorching your client as they reach over the burning chip pan to switch off :eek:. The Sink position is more obvious due to the danger of splashing water and the "old dear" who fills the kettle with it still plugged in!!!!!!!

Hi,
Accoding to the last NICEIC rep iIspoke to, and that was a week ago. There are NO rules in the 17th edition regs book i.e. the big red one, WRT the positionof accessories and hobs etc. In fact he said that the NIC are happy as long as the socket is NOT DIRECTLY over any heat source. He said also that the OSG (Green book) is purley that a GUIDE !! and that the NIC only go by the regs.
The Green Guide however is a guide but it is a giude to the 'Building' regs so surley contraveneing these regs could make you fall foul of an inspection by the LABC.

Rant over and I always go by the 300mm a shown in the guide.

Best regards,
Lofty

Reply to Sockets over cookers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net