Discuss Sockets tripping RCD - help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

kev.k

-
Reaction score
The downstaits socket circuit is tripping the RCD on my neighbours house and I can't find the problem. I disconnected the earth at the CU and turned the circuit on and it was fine so I know the problem is with the earth. It only trips the RCD when the MCB is turned on so i'm assuming it is just an earth fault and not a earth-neutral short.

I have unplugged all appliances and it was still tripping. I disconnected all sockets and sepperated the cables and am confident I have found the responsible cable, I did a insulation resitance test on the cable at 250v and the reading was 347 ohms.

The circuit was fine when they went to be last night and when they woke up this morning it had tripped.

Any ideas what could have caused this?

Thanks

sounds like an intermittent fault . when you say you have found the suspect cable, do you mean a section of the ring, i.e. between 2 sockets? if so double check there's nothing connected (boiler/CH is a usual cause, or maybe a fridge. is there a hidden socket/FCU anywhere . e.g. a FCU above wall units in kitchen for cooker hood, any outside lights connected via FCU.

sounds like an intermittent fault . when you say you have found the suspect cable, do you mean a section of the ring, i.e. between 2 sockets? if so double check there's nothing connected (boiler/CH is a usual cause, or maybe a fridge. is there a hidden socket/FCU anywhere . e.g. a FCU above wall units in kitchen for cooker hood, any outside lights connected via FCU.
If it’s none of them have a sniff to see if you can smell burning mouse behind the walls.

Yes I have found which leg it seems to be between 2 sockets BUT they have just said there is another socket which can't be accessed due to a new kitchen cupboard that was fitted in. This is between the 2 sockets that I believe the fault to be on so could be that. Maybe even a fixing that had slightly nicked the cable and has now only just caused the problem (house movement ove time etc)

I have advised them to go through insurance as i'm not starting to take cupboards apart and then try and put them back together but just been frustrating me so wanted to see if it sounded like I could have missed something

Thought of a mouse myself, the wiring is under the floors as there is a crawl space under the house so got under the and checked the cable run but no problem under there

first check the suspect section gor continuity. L-L, N-N, E-E. if 1 has an unusually high reading could indicate damaged cable. you will probably need to access that hidden socket, even if it means cutting a hole in the back of the cupboard.

if push come to shove, you could diss all 3 conductors of the suspect section and convert to 2 x 20A radials.

Thanks guys, i've passed on it I don't need this on a Sunday when the footy's on :D

Was just getting annoyed with it though and wanted to check really on what would be causing it to trip as was only doing it when the MCB was turned on. From my understanding if it is a neutral-earth fault the RCD would be tripping with the MCB off. Is that right? The RCD was staying on if the sockets MCB was off but then you try and turn the sockets MCB on then the RCD trips so am I right in thinking it is a fault with the earth only?

Thanks again

The fault is not the earth but is probably a fault between live conductors and earth. For future reference it is not a good idea to disconnect the earth and energise a circuit.

Thanks guys, i've passed on it I don't need this on a Sunday when the footy's on :D

Was just getting annoyed with it though and wanted to check really on what would be causing it to trip as was only doing it when the MCB was turned on. From my understanding if it is a neutral-earth fault the RCD would be tripping with the MCB off. Is that right? The RCD was staying on if the sockets MCB was off but then you try and turn the sockets MCB on then the RCD trips so am I right in thinking it is a fault with the earth only?

Thanks again
you should be thinking that it's a fault between L and E, not a fault on the earth only.

The fault is not the earth but is probably a fault between live conductors and earth. For future reference it is not a good idea to disconnect the earth and energise a circuit.
sometimes that can help with fault finding, but care has to be taken whilst doing such. keep away from small children and pets. do not pass GO.do not collect £200.

Reply to Sockets tripping RCD - help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock