Discuss Sockets under desks in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

davesparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I’m working on a small office job at the moment and have to install a few twin sockets underneath a couple of desks, the desks are back to back with each other so no wall to fit the sockets to.
I’d just like to know what other people’s opinions on the best way to do this are, I’m not keen on fitting standard surface sockets to the underside of the desks as I think the weight of the plugs could pull them loose over time.
My current thinking is something along the lines of dome lids fixed to the underside of the desk with metal clad sockets bushed onto them so they sit the right way up. The sockets are in groups of four so there will be two twins back to back with another two twins, so I think this should make a fairly solid arrangement.

I’m open to any suggestions on this one.

I’m working on a small office job at the moment and have to install a few twin sockets underneath a couple of desks, the desks are back to back with each other so no wall to fit the sockets to.
I’d just like to know what other people’s opinions on the best way to do this are, I’m not keen on fitting standard surface sockets to the underside of the desks as I think the weight of the plugs could pull them loose over time.
My current thinking is something along the lines of dome lids fixed to the underside of the desk with metal clad sockets bushed onto them so they sit the right way up. The sockets are in groups of four so there will be two twins back to back with another two twins, so I think this should make a fairly solid arrangement.

I’m open to any suggestions on this one.
Floor Box Products - Armorduct Systems - https://www.armorductsystems.co.uk/product-types/floor-boxes/?gclid=CjwKCAiAqvXTBRBuEiwAE54dcEKzDEo9msJ1CBWQyt9EnxhxREG9bcP8IC-Q5AqTU6rV2jGoSGBNYRoCBbQQAvD_BwE

What about these? you can fix to the desk themselves and use the required flex to connect up to the circuit. Also allows for easy moving of desks in the future by simply plugging into another socket. its basically glorified extension leads but quite common in a lot of open plan offices these days. they also have integrated rcds and rcbos.. you can link the different units together with joining cables.
Under Desk RCD Protected Power units - http://www.officepowerproducts.com/under-desk-rcd-protected-power-units-84-c.asp

What about these? you can fix to the desk themselves and use the required flex to connect up to the circuit. Also allows for easy moving of desks in the future by simply plugging into another socket. its basically glorified extension leads but quite common in a lot of open plan offices these days. they also have integrated rcds and rcbos.. you can link the different units together with joining cables.
Under Desk RCD Protected Power units - http://www.officepowerproducts.com/under-desk-rcd-protected-power-units-84-c.asp

I can’t see how they would fix any differently to fitting surface boxes under the desks.

This office won’t be changing again in a long time.

If the carpet is not being lifted and you can’t sink anything in the floor, how are the desks being supplied?

From the wall, they are being arranged like a peninsula unit in a kitchen, so the ends of two desks are against the wall and the next two are next to them.

This is only a small managers office in a theatre, only 6 desks in the whole room, not a large commercial office.

Another option if the desks are backless could be some planed timber 100 x 25mm or similar fixed vertically using angled brackets then fix the sockets to that.

I’d go for dado under each desk, also gives the provision for data points 1M per desk 3 desks to a length plus boxes?

I’m back to the same issue of how to mount it vertically if the desks have no backs below them,

Most desks in offices get fitted with modesty panel cable tray and power racks. An on desk extension lead is then plugged in to the power rack and passed through the desks cable port. All the computer stuff is plugged in under the desk and the small on desk extension lead is for more personal use like charging phones etc. I think you are overthinking it.

Most desks in offices get fitted with modesty panel cable tray and power racks. An on desk extension lead is then plugged in to the power rack and passed through the desks cable port. All the computer stuff is plugged in under the desk and the small on desk extension lead is for more personal use like charging phones etc. I think you are overthinking it.

I didn’t make it clear this isn’t a big commercial office, or normal office desks.
It’s a small office in a theatre, I haven’t seen the actual desks yet but there’s little chance they’ll be standard office desks. In the second office all of the furniture is going to be antiques.

The spec I have been given is for sockets above and below the desks, I’ve got the above covered already with pedestal boxes. It’s just the mounting of sockets below the desks that i’m looking for thoughts on.

As I said earlier if the desks arrive and they have a vertical surface I can fit surface sockets to then that’s what will be happening.

I might think of fixing skirting trunking up the inside of one of the rear desk legs and mount sockets sideways up the trunking.
I was thinking screwing it to the underside of the desk but no space the fit large plugs and not a secure fix.
Or even, depending on loading, screwing a multi socket extension to the leg.
perhaps a PDU between front and rear legs, depending on dimensions and number of sockets required.

Reply to Sockets under desks in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock