Discuss Sockets with integrated USB connections in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gavin Hyde

Hi
I am new to the forum and finishing of my training with a 3 month placement starting next week, as i am hesitant to go straight out and work alone, i figure to do a good job takes more than a bit of theory and a freshly printed City and Guilds!

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this?

I have recently been asked about fitting some 2 gang sockets with usb charging points integrated into the face.
Testing the sockets themselves is pretty straightforward but how would you test the actual current and connection of the usb points? The sockets in question say the power is 2.1 amp 5v. beyond putting a device on to see its working and charges the said device i do not know how to test the usb charging point. This itself is a bit risky as tablets, phones etc can be susceptible to damage if they get the wrong current.

What would people reccomend as the way to test and check the right power etc is coming from the usb points or would you just accept that if the standard sockets are working then the usb points are too?

Suggestions or advice appreciated?

if it helps the item in question the item is number 1204f in screwfix

You can buy usb voltage testers. Fairly cheap from Amazon etc..

Something to beware of with these. Ive seen certain models with insufficient isolation between the USB charging circuit and the mains voltage. An I've seen a report on some cheaper Chinese ones, not having continuity between the seperate Earth terminals.

Maplin do have the cheapest usb testers on the shelf of you prefer to walk in to a shop and pick one up.
Though you should be able to easily make up an adaptor to connect a multimeter using an old use lead and chopping the end off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have seen a lot of these units fail. A lot of them are really poor quality. And they make IR testing a pain as well.

I bought one from eddies a year or so ago at £ 19.99 and have found it pretty decent. Although when my flat had an EICR carried out today i did remove it and put temporary links on the cables so the IR would show true results on the ring. It has continuity between the earth straps as well. Not sure what the make is though. Are there any out there that are being made to proper British standards yet?

They are very handy though i must say.

I have bought a couple of LAP units from screwfix to test in my house and they are performing well, no issues at all, I have never tested the USB point over and above plugging a phone in to charge, I will now knock up a test lead!

I have bought a couple of LAP units from screwfix to test in my house and they are performing well, no issues at all, I have never tested the USB point over and above plugging a phone in to charge, I will now knock up a test lead!

By knocking up a test lead, do you mean chopping the end off a USB and using the black and red leads connected to a DMM and checking the voltage coming from the USB port?

I bought one from eddies a year or so ago at £ 19.99 and have found it pretty decent. Although when my flat had an EICR carried out today i did remove it and put temporary links on the cables so the IR would show true results on the ring. It has continuity between the earth straps as well. Not sure what the make is though. Are there any out there that are being made to proper British standards yet?

They are very handy though i must say.
I do believe the MK range have "dynamic device recognition" and would be the one I trust the most at the moment to plug an expensive device into

Reply to Sockets with integrated USB connections in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net