Discuss sockets with rockers on the outside. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Leesparkykent

Esteemed
Reaction score
Just interested to know what other brands make these as only really get Mk as that's what's stocked by the wholesalers I use. I've fitted hundreds over the last few months so just looking at prices etc.

Cant remember the manufacturers but there are others out there Lee. As I was told, if a DB socket switch is on the outerside of the socket, it means the socket is DP?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cant remember the manufacturers but there are others out there Lee. As I was told, if a DB socket switch is on the outerside of the socket, it means the socket is DP?

Alright Paul, I'm not sure tbh about being double pole I know the MK version are. I'm not sure if its a requirement under part M as haven't really looked in to it but I've been doing loads of office refurb jobs for a main contractor which is getting the work off Kent county council and they stipulate rockers on the outside. The MK part M colour contrast sockets come with rockers on the outside.

I always thought outboard rocker switches were considered more accessible, and nothing to do with being single or double pole.
I believe all MK sockets have double pole switches, even the ones with inboard rockers. Also there is an additional feature where the shutters will only open when all 3 pins are inserted.

I am staggered that MK make a socket with only one earth terminal, I thought that the current requirement was to terminate each cpc in individual terminals specifically on ring circuits so that if one cpc fell out there would still be at least one cpc.

These are sometimes referred to as hospital sockets.
The outboard switches are intended to prevent the accidental operation of the wrong switch.
Dual earth terminals are only required where two CPCs are intended to be run.

what spin said is how i've always understood it.

The way some outlets are constructed with the carp riveted earth terminals that turn when any decent force is applied, unless the earthing requirements dictate otherwise, I prefer both cpc's to go in the same terminal.

The MK outboard rocker sockets have twin earth terminals....the inboard only one. So the outboard switched sockets are required for circuits with high earth leakage.
Hi, just out of interest is there any specific reason why these should be installed in some domestic locations? Our house was rewired in 2011 all MK white switches and sockets etc. The sockets in the kitchen are all outboard rocker, everywhere else it's the ordinary ones.

Thanks,
Tony S

Hi, just out of interest is there any specific reason why these should be installed in some domestic locations? Our house was rewired in 2011 all MK white switches and sockets etc. The sockets in the kitchen are all outboard rocker, everywhere else it's the ordinary ones.

Thanks,
Tony S

As far as I know it is any home being specifically constructed for use by a disabled person.

And then there are the the inevitable rumours, old wives tales and endless accounts of 'I've been told' or 'my mate says'

As far as I know it is any home being specifically constructed for use by a disabled person.

And then there are the the inevitable rumours, old wives tales and endless accounts of 'I've been told' or 'my mate says'

Yeah, I agree, that's what I heard too... ;)

Scheinder lisse are a good alternative to MK they are still made with the antibacterial plastic, available with inboard, outboard, part m and non standard

Reply to sockets with rockers on the outside. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock