Discuss 'Soft' switch and green corrosion on the other in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

auds

Hi!

I'd just like a quick bit of advice, we have two fused switches in our airing cupboard for the hot water cylinder, one main switch which comes on during the off-peak of our economy 7. The other which is for the immersion. We've stopped getting any hot water from the main off-peak part of the cylinder and the heating engineer thinks it has something to do with the economy 7. Before it stopped working we noticed the switch getting quite hot and then went very soft, the only way I can describe it is that it doesn't 'click' when switching on or off ;).

I decided to take a look at the switch to see if there was anything noticeable and compare to the other immersion switch alongside, nothing seemed out of the ordinary apart from the immersion switch has this green corrosion like powder across one of the wires and it almost looks like it's been burnt (Pic attached: IMG_0334.JPG). This switch is working fine and the immersion works perfectly but like the main switch gets a little hot. Is this something that we should be concerned about and get an electrician to look at? Likewise is this something that could have happened to the main switch and it burnt out?

Both fuses have been checked and are working fine, both are 13A.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like it may have got water into the switch the copper has oxidised green and created a high impedance fault... it may have fused but either way requires replacing, also the source of any suspect leak will need to be found and rectified first.

Best call a professional in to replace the fuse spur, the circuit design sounds strange a 20amp DP switch would be more suited to such a load on for long durations with fusing upstream so again get the opinion of a professional as I'm not there and I may be missing something you haven't told us.

Looks like considerable heat damage to the wiring. Will require replacement of the switch and both cables will need making off again from scratch which isn't a job for a DIY'er. On-peak and off-peak supplies can also be very dangerous to work on, it may seem like they're isolated and aren't live but they can automatically become live when you least expect it.

Reply to 'Soft' switch and green corrosion on the other in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock