Discuss Solar as an investment in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

good post, now could you forward it to DECC as an argument against degression. When you factor in depreciation (which they don't) the return is pretty much their new lower target!!!

Only problem is you will have to update it every couple of months and come August there will be no installers installing because of a lower tarrif and for 20 years,that will kill the industry. How can installers plan ahead with ever moving goal posts.

Only problem is you will have to update it every couple of months and come August there will be no installers installing because of a lower tarrif and for 20 years,that will kill the industry. How can installers plan ahead with ever moving goal posts.

try voting labour!!

I thought you guys might like to see my case for investment in solar, which I just posted on an investment forum:

TMF: Suggestions on investing a lump sum / Investment Strategies

(in case the topic gets large, mine is the first reply to the openig post)

if you are having a second array you wont get the fit rate you will just benefit from the free electricity you generate from it (is that going to be worth the outlay) also need permission from your DNO.

Sorry, but you are wrong there, if you add to the installation on the same mpan, of course you will receive the FIT payment, if it takes you over a tarrif level change IE 4KWP then the FIT would be at the 4-10Kwp rate for the new installation, whilst your old system would stay on its existing rate.
This assumes you have the EPC, and any other rules which may apply at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
so is it different were you are cause i understand 4kw =16amps max on a domestic property hes got a 4kw already if he adds to the installation he exceeds 4kw 16amp. therefore permission required from DNO.

so is it different were you are cause i understand 4kw =16amps max on a domestic property hes got a 4kw already if he adds to the installation he exceeds 4kw 16amp. therefore permission required from DNO.

I don't think Earthstore is disagreeing with gaining prior permission from the DNO but more the bit where you said "if you are having a second array you wont get the fit rate".

If I want more installed above my current 3.75kWp, it would require DNO permission before going ahead. In certain cicumstances it would require planning permission, which requires several weeks.

I would expect any new arrays to receive 16.8p FiT and 0.5x3.2p export tariff = 18.4p if installed by 31st July.

Total benefits would be 18.4p per kWh, plus any additional bill savings on top of the savings I've already made.

It compares reasonably well against the 21.0p+ 0.5x3.2p = 22.6p FiT + export which currently applies to domestic <4kW.

I'd be getting 81% of the payback that 21p FiT solar owners receive. However, I would also be looking at certain other costs as part of an installation, which would reduce the returns further.

I don't think Earthstore is disagreeing with gaining prior permission from the DNO but more the bit where you said "if you are having a second array you wont get the fit rate".

so are you saying you can have a 2nd 4kw array on the same mpan number???

so are you saying you can have a 2nd 4kw array on the same mpan number???
of course you can as long as you have prior permission to connect it from the DNO (and this is far from a forgone conclusion IME).

It will only be paid at the rate for 4-10kWp installations though.

of course you can as long as you have prior permission to connect it from the DNO (and this is far from a forgone conclusion IME).

It will only be paid at the rate for 4-10kWp installations though.

ive been told you cant do that 1x4kw per mpan number only on domestic dwellings!

just to add if you want an additional array you would only benefit from the electric generated no fit payments.

Sedgy, in the nicest possible way, before you give any more advice to customers it might be a good idea to spend the weekend reading up a bit ;-) I'd be a bit concerned that a customer (FB) knows more about the limits of installation than you do. It doesn't take long and the information is readily available. You might want to have a workd with the people that did your training though - it doesn't look as though they've covered some of the essential info. Good luck :)

ive been told you cant do that 1x4kw per mpan number only on domestic dwellings!
you've been told wrong, or asked the question in the wrong way.

you can install as much as you want on any MPAN as long as you have permission from the DNO to do it, and receive the appropriate FIT payments on all of it.

If there is already an existing 4kWp installation, then anything added would just get paid at the rate of the next band down, but the original 4kWp would remain on its existing rate.

Sedgy, in the nicest possible way, before you give any more advice to customers it might be a good idea to spend the weekend reading up a bit ;-) I'd be a bit concerned that a customer (FB) knows more about the limits of installation than you do. It doesn't take long and the information is readily available. You might want to have a workd with the people that did your training though - it doesn't look as though they've covered some of the essential info. Good luck :)

thankyou for the advice, but will decline on the weekend reading as it will interfere with me and stella

you've been told wrong, or asked the question in the wrong way.

you can install as much as you want on any MPAN as long as you have permission from the DNO to do it, and receive the appropriate FIT payments on all of it.

If there is already an existing 4kWp installation, then anything added would just get paid at the rate of the next band down, but the original 4kWp would remain on its existing rate.

The bit id forgot about/misunderstood then was the 2nd array on domestics the FIT 4/10kw rate, if DNO allows it

you can install a hundred panels if you like, it just requires prior consent as it falls outside G83!
just as a correction to the above. I would presume fitting an additional 4kW will drop the FiTS on your existing install as well as the new one as you are going over 4kW, otherwise, all you would needon a large install is to put some on, then add the others as a modification. FiTS is like stamp duty (another government rip off!), it's on the whole amount, not just the bit thats over the threshold.

Reply to Solar as an investment in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock