Discuss Solar connection details in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Raretomo

First of all hello, this is my first post. Did try a search to answer my question but was unsuccessful.

I am connecting the AC side of a PV solar installation. im not an out and out electrician but I am qualified for the purpose of my job as a maintenance engineer.

Baisically my question is, how do i connect to the existing circuits within the CU? Do they go straight onto the main incomings? (with a breaker inbetween)
A friend I'm doing it for wants it to just power his lights, as the panels he's got are not enough to power the whole house.

This may be a simple answer! But just want to check

Are you MCS registered and part of a competent persons scheme?

you can't just go connecting to the grid without informing the DNO. Is the system G83 compliant? As this is a new circuit it's also notifiable!
have you checked for bonding etc?

Last edited:
im not connecting to the grid. Using a manual switch at the moment. At no point will the solar output be connected to the mains.
im just curious as to how it is physically wired up on a 'normal' installation

First of all hello, this is my first post. Did try a search to answer my question but was unsuccessful.

I am connecting the AC side of a PV solar installation. im not an out and out electrician but I am qualified for the purpose of my job as a maintenance engineer.

Baisically my question is, how do i connect to the existing circuits within the CU? Do they go straight onto the main incomings? (with a breaker inbetween)
A friend I'm doing it for wants it to just power his lights, as the panels he's got are not enough to power the whole house.

This may be a simple answer! But just want to check

don't connect into a shared RCD. Other than that, if you're competent then you should be able to work it out.

Right so it should be connected before the main double pole breaker?
i take it the 'house' would take the power from the path of least resistance, so when voltage from solar drops it'll automaticly draw it from the mains?
and I take it the inverter has got to be pure sine wave

i take it the 'house' would take the power from the path of least resistance, so when voltage from solar drops it'll automaticly draw it from the mains?

If you are doing this then the system IS connected in parallel to the grid and you DO need to comply with G83 (including using a G83 certified inverter) and inform the DNO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not doing that. It's off the grid and will manually transfer between mains and solar using a DPDT switch.
So the solar installation can go straight onto the incomers even if it isn't powerful enough to power the whole house?

so. he wants to power his lights from solar in the daytime when he doesn't need the lights, but when he needs the lights, it will be dark and the solar panels will just be sitting there waiting for dawn? sounds to me like a half-baked crackpot idea. is he an architect, by any chance.

so. he wants to power his lights from solar in the daytime when he doesn't need the lights, but when he needs the lights, it will be dark and the solar panels will just be sitting there waiting for dawn? sounds to me like a half-baked crackpot idea. is he an architect, by any chance.
your right tell the client is a fool.

one way to do it would be charge batteries then run the lights off the batteries (bassically a homemade ups, has the added benerfit of no loss of lights during changeover etc)

Also most inverters won't work without a grid connection.....

Right so it should be connected before the main double pole breaker?
and I take it the inverter has got to be pure sine wave
Am I missing something , or is this not doing exactly what you keep saying you are not trying to do !?

not true, there are different types.

people have used solar panels to stay off grid for years

Yep but he's NOT off-grid....

This must be one of the least thought through projects I've heard of in years...

I'm not here to prove anything to anyone. I'm asking questions to which you some of you should know the answer to.
Iv not done anything with solar panels before, so when asked to wire (the high voltage side) to the house, I said yes. The panels themselves were installed by someone else.
I told him I'd not done it before from the get go. But was happy to learn, as I'd like to have solar panels installed myself at some point.
He may want them for off the grid and only for his lighting circuit, but I will want to tie it to the house mains, at which point I'd hire someone to do the whole installation. But it wouldnt hurt to have a basic understanding

Reply to Solar connection details in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net