Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Solar Edge - break thru or what? in the Solar PV Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Wenthen

Wenthen New EF Member

Hi all,

I've come across a competitive quote that includes Solar Edge products - Solar Inverters, Power Optimizers and PV Monitoring | SolarEdge and it all seems very good. Serious improvements and features are claimed, overcoming many 'inherent problems' caused by adjacent roofs not pointing the same way, shading, unbalanced strings etc, the normal "why can't everyone just have a nice big rectangular roof facing south?" syndrome!
    But there doesn't seem much info available except from Solar Edge website, and because in my domestic quote it creates an additional cost, I don't want to add on something that is OK, but not really effective, so not worth the money/possible complication.
    Yield measurement is also an issue of course, does it do "what it says on the tin", or is it sales hype camouflaged by some iffy science?

I've read the Photon article too but, for example, I notice that part of it refers to 'optimizers improving efficiency by 1%', not too exciting! So why do it then, - how long do these things last, will the Inverter last longer, etc..?

So can anyone tell me from experience that these things work please? Or, point me to some other hard evidence?

Thanks
    V

2. saint

saint Regular EF Member

we are looking at these this week. do you have any costings yet?

3. Wenthen

Wenthen New EF Member

No, but the 12 panel competitive quote I have seen makes me 'feel' that these PowerBoxes and Inverters are similar, or maybe lower in cost/price to a conventional inverter solution. Inverter overheads annoy me too, so I want this to work!

I have surveyed two roofs in the same property that are at 90 degrees to each other, one twice the length but half of it is in partial shade! So normally I would be considering 3 inverters.
    Therefore I deduce/reckon overall SolarEdge may compare favourably technically and cost-wise, to the conventional multi inverter solution. This may, in part, be because the resulting system will be more tailored and less '3 times Big Box Inverter' that would be actually be excessive in terms of a technical solution.

But before I spent ages digging around only to find it wasn't a viable solution, I asked here, - kind of a trowel rather than a spade at this stage. Send me a private mail?

Hope that helps?
    V