Discuss Solar Eye in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

adeh61

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post and I have a question about the Solar Eye used on the ever-solar inverter. I found it simple enough to set up but the display is very dull especially in the morning it looks similar to when a lcd screen has bad battery power, I have the dc adapter plugged in all the time with batteries installed for backup. Has anyone else installed one of these and is the screen easily viewable. I don't know for sure but it seems to have a faulty screen or power supply maybe.

Thanks

Ade

Hi All,

This is my first post and I have a question about the Solar Eye used on the ever-solar inverter. I found it simple enough to set up but the display is very dull especially in the morning it looks similar to when a lcd screen has bad battery power, I have the dc adapter plugged in all the time with batteries installed for backup. Has anyone else installed one of these and is the screen easily viewable. I don't know for sure but it seems to have a faulty screen or power supply maybe.

Thanks

Ade

I have one of these mate and it is dull all the time and is really annoying when the display goes off after about 2-3 minutes. Especially when im trying to power watch.

Sounds like the lcd is pretty poor on this device. It is annoying when you have to keep adjusting the viewing angle in order to be able to read it properly. I have been looking at some other wifi devices but don’t know if any are compatible with the ever-solar inverter.

Last edited:
EverSolar have had terrible trouble with the Solar Eye. We have had them on order for months and we keep being told there is a delay with the manufacture and/or that they have been recalled.

We have now swapped to the GEO PV, which is a hand-held unit and reads the pulse from the gen meter, so it can be used on any system regardless of inverter.

The GEO price is fixed by the manufacturer, so wherever you buy it, it should be £125.00. We have one set up in the office and it's pretty good. Battery life is poor though, so it's best to keep it on the cradle as much as possible.

The GEO monitors are next to useless. We've used a few but won't be buying any more after this batch is sold.

They're unreliable and we've had to go back to numerous customers to set them back up again.

The GEO monitors are next to useless. We've used a few but won't be buying any more after this batch is sold.

They're unreliable and we've had to go back to numerous customers to set them back up again.

Really? That's interesting feedback. We've had no trouble with them as yet. Why have they had to be set-up again? One would hope they are paired for life. What unreliability have you found? Is the reported figure different to the actual generation?

Yeah, we were looking at bringing the Solo PV (GEO) units on board but the MOQ's for distribution were ridiculous and I have had differing opinions from installers on how reliable or easy to set up they are. You'll always get differing opinions, of course, but we decided to leave it alone...

Really? That's interesting feedback. We've had no trouble with them as yet. Why have they had to be set-up again? One would hope they are paired for life. What unreliability have you found? Is the reported figure different to the actual generation?

We have no idea why they had to be set up again, but thats what we had to do. Apparently, the batteries only last 12 months and then you have to re-pair them up again.

The generated figures are pretty accurate. I have one on my desktop right now which I monitor.

We've been back to three since we've been installing them. That's three too many and I don't like the idea of going back to each every 12 months either.

One of our customers took a photo of his Solar Eye which he has mounted on a wall in his utility room.

Solar Eye.jpg

My display looks similar to that on that menu but when I scroll to the history menu and look at the weekly data the more bars that show the more the screen fades. Its as though it can't support too many graphics and numbers and the power starts failing, even though I have it plugged in to a mains adapter.

Looking for assistance in setting up my Solar Eye.

First does it mater if the left or right RJ485 socket is used for connectio from the inverter to the Bee
when I try to connect Bee to Eye the wifi symbol flashes for a couple of seconds then stops and then when it returns to the display page there is no wifi connection shown any hints on where I am going wrong. I have tried it on all 5 channels with the same results

Thanks for your fast reply. Can you just clarify for me the step I am missing.

I set the bee to connection state with the LEDs flashing. I then enter the channel setup on the Eye select channel1 press the enter button. The LED flashes on the enter button and the channel 1 signal flashes for a couple of seconds then stops. Is it at this point I use the left or righ button to select channel 1 again?

yes once back onto the home screen, i cant remember exactly, i had same problem, press on of the buttons and it then selects channel one! its not in the instructions! set to channel, then trial and error with buttons to see which selects the channel. then its starts showing production.

Would do mine again to see but its in loft and bit of a mission!

Reply to Solar Eye in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net