Discuss Solar help electrical in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

noodi3

-
Reaction score
so lets say i have a 12v solar panel and it puts out 5amps current =60w. If all my accessories connected are 5v and drawing 5a does that mean im only really drawing 25w of power outof my system? If so does that mean i can get 12a at 5v from my panel?.

This thing wont let me post my thread unless i write more characters

Do you charge batteries with your panels? You might well be able to achieve a 6v output if you have more than one battery..

Ill stsrt again.

If i have a 18.2v system with a 6.04a output
When i use the regular to bring it down to 12v
So lets say im charging my car battery at 14v
Does this mean because im only using 14v out of the 18.2v that im able to achieve a higher current output of 7.8a@14v instead of 6a@18v

18.2v 6.02a=110w
14v 7.8a= 110w

Get me?

It depends on what you mean by achieve?

Yes you'll have 14v and 7.8amps available but then you'll have losses in the voltage regulator to remove from that, and loss of power in cables as well.

What are you trying do? Might be better to start from there.

Firstly I presume you mean transformer by the term regulator?

If you had a 230w 230v lamp that was supplied by 230v then it would draw 1a. Similarly, a 230w 12v lamp would draw somewhere around 19.17a.

But the 230v lamp will hardly light at all at 12v and similarly the 12v lamp will blow pretty much straight away at 230v.

You cannot connect things to a device unless they are rated at the same voltage as that device.

I think you need to a bit of research into electricity and how it works.

Transformer are for AC systems only

Dc system use regulators to change voltages.

Both have there own inherent inefficiencies

Lamps don't work like as you've got reistances involved to achieve those voltage drops.

So a 230watt lamp at 230 volt would have a fixed resistance of 230 ohms

While a 230 watt lamp as 12v would have a resistance of 12ohms(aprx + simplification for the sake of maths)

So now if you feed 12v on it the 230 volt lamp it's resistance is still 230 ohms(ignoreing heating effects so using ohms law v=I*R bit to arrangements

I=V/R = 12V/230 = 0.05A

your not drawing 19amp but actually 0.05amps or 0.6watts, hence why it doesn't light up as bright.

Your best bet is to let us what your trying to do so proper and ice can be given

Last edited:
Ok thanks..

I have a 110w solar panel on my car roof.
Please see attached picture they are the specs

So all i really want to know is will i get
7.8a@14v instead of the [email protected]. Because i have the regulator dropping the voltage will the current be increased

Its charges my battery and i run my fridge and charge my phone, GPS and other 5v stuff through the car that has a regulator in the cord to bring it down to 5v

Solar help electrical 9478B871-351D-40DB-85D6-21D4E7E68C0D - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Solar help electrical in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock