Discuss Solar hot water controller in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Br716

-
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a viridian solar clearline v200 controller which has failed. The warranty on the unit is 2 years and it's 2.5 years old. Having spoken to them they aren't willing to help me at all and no longer stock the controller so I can't replace it. Honestly Viridian Solar are just useless. The PV inverter they installed failed too but luckily that was in warranty.

Anyway the solar thermal controler clicks on at the right time, but once it is on it doesn't trip off and will run all night.

I need some help finding a new controller for my system. It is a drainback system and I'm happy to replace the current 3 sensors.

Ideally I'm looking to spend less than £150. Does anyone have recomendations?

Thanks in advance

There are loads of good quality solar thermal controllers out there. and one can almost certainly be configured to your setup.

Give SeconSolar or Navitron a call. We use RESOL controllers for lots of functions other than solar - after all they only differential temperature controllers.

Controllers - https://www.seconsolar.com/controllers-433-c.asp

if it's old, its probably a non-PWM controller if new then it is a PWM controller.

Be careful in relation to the age of your system. Older Viridian panels and controllers use PT100 temperature sensors. The later ones use PT1000. The latter are compatible with most Resol controllers. Also PM me, I might have a controller, but not sure if it is PT 100 or PT 1000.

The system is only 2.5 years old (clearline v200).

The odd thing is that the controller does seem to work. It will kick on at the right temperature but won't stop unless I hold the tank bottom sensor in my hand for about 30 seconds.

Today the tank temp was around 55 deg at the top. By the time I had pulled the bottom sensor to put it in my hand, the circulating cold solar feed had reduced the temp to 45deg at the top.

The the sensors on my system are USB for bottom sensor and Ethernet for collector sensor, so as far as I'm aware not an easy swap.

The above temp drop was with no water usage btw. It has run itself right down to 35deg before from 50-60deg, but that's when I turned the system off at about 1am as it was still going flat out.

Viridian said it's likely the controller unit but if you have any other ideas please let me know.

They are both ehternet (network type cable) connectors. If you look carefully you will see that only two of the wires are used. It is very unusual for the sensors themselves to fail.

You could go back to Viridian with the serial number of your controller. They should be able to confirm whether it is one that uses PT100 or PT1000 sensors. This will then help with effecting a solution. There is also a sticker on the inside of the controller/pump station which has some manufacturing and test dates. This could also be useful in identifying this information.

Is the system pressure 1.5 to 2.5bar??, is there a flow gauge to show circulation with solar circ pump on, possibly air in system although one would expect collector temp to be sky high.
Its easy to test the PT1000/PT100 probe, check the resistance as per table (if PT100, divide by 10), remove sensor wires at nearest JB and test with a M.meter and compare with display temperature, remove from pocket and see does resistance compare with equivalent ambient temp. Of if no M.meter does the displayed temperature fall with sensor removal. Also check differential on/off settings in controller.

Attachments

• Solar hot water controller 1636213974017 - EletriciansForums.net
    1636213974017.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 2

Reply to Solar hot water controller in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock