Discuss Solar inverter showing low dc input ( with pictures ) help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Cs111

-
Reaction score
hi everyone, hopefully you can help.
I have a 4kw solar panel system and just noticed a drop in how many kw it’s producing. I checked the inverter ( fronius primo ) and the lcd is showing low dc input on string 1.
Any ideas of what the problem could be ?
Even if I could narrow it down to what I should be checking

On the lcd
Is as follows

Solar inverter showing low dc input ( with pictures ) help please 2EE22F30-69EE-420D-A0D3-12F9A84790B2 - EletriciansForums.net Solar inverter showing low dc input ( with pictures ) help please 8940FE3F-AC58-4F29-87BD-43BD9264246A - EletriciansForums.net Solar inverter showing low dc input ( with pictures ) help please B345A553-1244-484F-BF50-D308C209BAFF - EletriciansForums.net Solar inverter showing low dc input ( with pictures ) help please 13B2026F-735A-46F1-B7E0-B38EDC80D31B - EletriciansForums.net Solar inverter showing low dc input ( with pictures ) help please 618DB218-8416-4D64-BB43-94367930DA93 - EletriciansForums.net Solar inverter showing low dc input ( with pictures ) help please 5DF03301-44F0-45C9-A904-7C31573800AB - EletriciansForums.net Solar inverter showing low dc input ( with pictures ) help please 25332CE2-BCA5-4B29-AF4A-0029A2F1AAD0 - EletriciansForums.net Solar inverter showing low dc input ( with pictures ) help please 90570E16-0F04-4251-A87E-EA69F272B8E4 - EletriciansForums.net Solar inverter showing low dc input ( with pictures ) help please 2EE22F30-69EE-420D-A0D3-12F9A84790B2 - EletriciansForums.net

Solar inverter showing low dc input ( with pictures ) help please B60F0390-E8B8-4FE2-AF41-06D6172E7FEA - EletriciansForums.net

I checked this morning around 9am and had the same problem as Friday, basically only one string of 2 is working hence only getting 50% input compared to normal.

One reason could be the gradual reduction in panel power output as the panel rises in temperature, which might be particularly troublesome for you if the panel is on your roof and our sunny weather and blue skies bathe your panels in high intensity light for long periods.

Are the panels side by side such that is no geometric reason why one should be hotter than the other or is there some significant difference in spatial location and orientation between the panels which would result in one becoming noticeably hotter than the other?

See:

Solar Panel Temperature | Effect on performance - https://solarcalculator.com.au/solar-panel-temperature/

Yea 12 panels on the roof, all side by side.
I tried contacting the installer yesterday on 2 different numbers but the lines were dead and website down, though companies house have them as still active. Don’t think il get anywhere with them.
Just thought if there was something obvious that I could try I would.

Assuming that your competent to do it, could you swap over the inverter input connections for MPPT 1 and 2 to discover if the problem migrates?

Output may come back up as heatwave passes, if you are lucky and your panels are good quality. Else someone will have to go up there and check the individual panels, change out the bad ones. 6 Panel string likely deliver around 200V DC. Don't mess with them unless your familiar with working on electrical systems.

Last edited:
Suspect a panel on that string has failed. Get someone in to check outputs and bypass faulty panel so as to get that string up and running. Long term, find suitable replacement panel

They are sharp aleo panels, only installed 2 years ago. Guess il try to get someone out to have a look.

Reply to Solar inverter showing low dc input ( with pictures ) help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock