Discuss Solar Power UK conference in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hear any gossip about the FITs? Most of the people we spoke to were optimistic that there would be no changes until the end of March and 30% is looking like being the cut.

Was it worth going to? We're planning to be down on Friday but we've got two slate roofs on this week and the weather has been against us ....

Yes, plenty of interesting conversations, met with some of customers and suppliers and heard varying opinions as to how things are going to pan out. I think most felt that the new cuts would be softest at the lower, domestic end with harsher reductions upwards of the 10kWp and 50kWp and upwards thresholds. Did receive some overly negative/pessimistic opinions but generally people were just waiting on the likes of the DECC to provide some input. Greg Barker is talking tomorrow and it is likely that some clarification will be provided apparently....

@Biggs - did you see the Santon Fireman's switch? We are going to be representing their new version due to be available in the New Year. Great piece of kit. They do have a current version which is available now but it's not quite as "aesthetically pleasing" as the new design. GEO's Solo PV is a nice bit of kit too.

Been fitting geo pv on last 5 jobs, it's ok and looks nice, but it's a bit steep in my opinion for what it is.

Last edited:
Geo PV looks cracking. There were some great little monitoring options on show.

Didn't see the Santon Fireman's switch - to be honest, we didn't see their stall.

I just heard that Greg Barker pretty much said nothing at all about dates or rates.....banged on a bit about "domestic-this" and "domestic-that" but didn't offer any insight into the likely FiT rate changes. Apparently he did mention how we should try to avoid a boom/bust scenario and how we should perhaps look to Germany for guidance on how to manage the FiTs, so perhaps that corroborates the rumours about <10kWp systems being reduced to £0.20/kWh but that's just speculation to be honest.

Not quite sure why he turned up......

Greg Barker

Just read the speech and came to the same conclusion - a lot of hot air! No date but he has said that there will be a consultation and that from April 2012 houses applying for Fit will need to be energy efficient - however they will determine that ...... didn't look as though the cuts were going to come before April which would be welcome.

From Greg:

"Let me be absolutely clear, I haven’t come here to kill the tariff scheme, I want to fix it, enhance it and put the whole industry on a sustainable, credible economic path to a bright and exciting future."

From me:

"get on with it then, give us some numbers and dates and less of the politician waffle about how you're looking after us all."

All the suppliers I talked to after his speech at the conference were telling me it was going to be £0.20, all rumours of course, chineese wispers and all that. Well worth the visit as said by others, theres some new stuff that I hadent seen before, chineese are also making more a presence, sign of things to come me thinks.

Usual Government Spin!! Every time!! some how a rumor gets out that it will go down to 9p then when they announce 20p everyone thinks oh its not as bad as we first thought. I Personally believe that 20p is not enough! Its going to be a very quiet 2012!

The 20p rumour has been out for a while but thats for businesses claiming it like RAR, home/building owners will get 38p but obv nothing confirmed and it wont be for for few week yet.

There was nothing in the speech that spelt out numbers or dates but Channel 4 news specifically said a 50% reduction in FIT payments. The sentiment was there from Barker and we all know the FIT is too high but I wonder if Channel 4 have exceeded their remit.?? Stop the speculators cashing in and give the benefit to the private tax payers would be a good result but this is about EU targets not about saving the planet so if we suddenly put all the investment into offshore wind it will all end up as a load of rusting hulks which never paid back the investment. If you can find any decent financial reports on wind farms it would be interesting to see the returns (including the capital grants).

Energy Saving Trust website is definitive
20p for all Domestics where FiT application received after 8th December.

Reply to Solar Power UK conference in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net