Discuss solar pv and automatic disconection of supply ADS in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sime27

-
Reaction score
forget type B rcd's at minute
do we have to use a .30ma rcd to meet 17th edition requirments of .4 seconds disconection times for domestic solar pv system (16amp) even if cable is surface mounted outside in conduit ?

regardless of Zs as its normally low anyways to gain 1% volt drop.
but under 17th edition does every circuit below 32amp have to trip in .4 seconds ?
which will need a rcd am i right ?

1. No, a 30mA rcd is not mandated. Mcbs can meet that disconnection time with suitably low Zs. Which reg do you think would require a rcd?

2. No. Distribution circuits have a 5s (TN) or 1s(TT) disconnection time. 411.3.2.3 and 411.3.2.4 refer.

Regards
Bruce

I thought pv circuit would still be classed as a final circuit not a distribution as in night hrs its not Distributing anything .
I thought its a outdoor supply which would require a 30ma rcd and its below 32amp which would need at .4 seconds disconection time

So do you normally protect your pv systems with a rcd or not ?
i have been fitting a new 2way CU with a 63amp 30ma main switch then a 16a 60898 mcb
i could save time and money if no need for a rcd everytime

I thought pv circuit would still be classed as a final circuit not a distribution as in night hrs its not Distributing anything .

When there is a power cut and the main supply stops supplying power, you do not suddenly deem it to be a final circuit. It will not be an issue anyway, the normal mcb on a pv circuit will disconnect within 0.4s in the event of a fault

I thought its a outdoor supply which would require a 30ma rcd and its below 32amp which would need at .4 seconds disconection time

Again, which reg are you thinking of?

Regards
Bruce

Sime27 just have a read of the OSG for quick ref to RCD protection, unless the invert needs it, or the cable is buried less than 50mm then 30ma not needed. Just because it's the "17th" it doesnt mean everything needs RCD.

Reply to solar pv and automatic disconection of supply ADS in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock