Discuss Solar pv and moving house in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cheers for that, you obv really need to be house settled to get the benefits of the pv then, i cant see them adding value to the property price when they come
to sell the house

I think you are very mistaken.

If you have a decent install on your house and it is subject to the maximum 43.3p per kWh FITs rate then it will be very attractive. By the time you come to sell you will have already paid off most of the system anyway. I can't see how having a system on your roof which provides you with a benefit of £1500-2000 per year cannot add value to your house.

I agree.

It might partly come down to how much your house is worth in the first place, but I can't see how you can lose out even if you sell within a couple of years, Dmeltd. Depending on how much the FIT rate falls come April next year, I reckon the systems fitted in the 2010-2012 'golden years' will become very attractive to new home buyers, especially as fuel costs continue to rise. These systems should effectively cover the whole fuel costs for the home it's fitted to, and that's a really attractive incentive for house buyers.

The emotional impact of domestic fuel costs are similar to that of VED tax prices in cars; some people will pay a premium to get a car with a zero or £30 road tax rate, completely ignoring the strong likelihood that to save ~£100 per year, they've spent a few extra £k for that small annual benefit. Similarly, I reckon the belief that your new house will cost 'nothing' to run is such a similarly 'emotional' draw that some buyers will pay significantly over what the actual install cost was...!

Obviously, this will depend on the basic value of the house. Properties in the up to - ooh - £150k-ish? price range are generally bought by people with finances that'll stretch only that far, so finding a further £10k to cover the PV system you've had fitted just ain't going to happen when you come to sell. On the other hand, a house-buyer with, say, a budget of £400k may well buy your '£380k' property (which has 2010-12 panels...) for their full budget amount instead of a genuine £400k property without panels...

I think. :vanish:

I think your dead right scooby. Got to make the propety more resaleable. Just thinking personally , its going to be a bit gutting when i move in a few years time to leave the 'golden Era' fits behind.

I belive your price banding point is a bang on as well.

Just of tangent a bit, anyone own, and claim more than 1 Fit earning system. do the powers look bad on you if you have more than one on different propities/ is there a maximum allowence?

More than one property is not eligible tax free.

The only tax free option is on your own property - see the Finance Act 2007

After that it is simple business income offsett against the business costs of installation etc.
20 Income tax exemption for domestic microgeneration
(1) In ITTOIA 2005, after section 782 insert—
“782A Domestic microgeneration
(1) No liability to income tax arises in respect of income arising to an
individual from the sale of electricity generated by a microgeneration
system if—
(a) the system is installed at or near domestic premises occupied by the individual, and
(b) the individual intends that the amount of electricity generated by it will not significantly exceed the amount of electricity consumed in those premises.
(2) In subsection (1)—
“domestic premises” means premises used wholly or mainly as a separate private dwelling, and
“microgeneration system” has the same meaning as in section 4 of the Climate Change and Sustainable Energy Act 2006.”
(2) The amendment made by subsection (1) has effect for the tax year 2007-08 and
subsequent tax years

Thanks for that Worcester. Would of been nice, so i suppose to be a Multi owner , you really have to have quite a few, but it is a worth while exercise if you could get the money and propities. Do you know of any individuals using this Business model, must have legs, and i supose they would have to quick though! ( before March 31st 2012)

Private (non ltd co's) landlords actually get the worst of all worlds...the benefit is taxable yet they can't claim capital allowances on the investment.

Reply to Solar pv and moving house in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net