Discuss Solar PV for my new roof? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Francis

Ihave a South facing Slate roof big enough for a 4KW Solar installation.
Itis on a 3 storey semi detached house in the South of the UK
Iam soon having the roof replaced and am looking into Solar PV
Iwould appreciate any comments and experiences that you can kindly offer
Isthere anything the roofers should do to facilitate the PV Panels
What what make of panels do you think are good (I hesitate to say best).
I am thinking German and made by robot might be good.

Andlikewise for the electronics
Thank you
Photo of roof
WP_20140318_001.JPG

no doubt some of the PV experts will be on later to advise. if money's no object you could consider solar tiles.

An In roof system is something to consider, uses normal pv panels but mounted within the roof. More cost efficient than solar tiles and saves on slate
Matt

Matt
Is there an issue with Cooling when using solar within the roof. And as part of the reason for the new roof is to improve the heat insulation (there is no Loft space) would that be impacted?

Just a thought here, if you work with a good pv company they have professional roofers so could do the whole job for you... Re roof and PV...

Thanks Earthstore, yes I have already got the roofing people lined and they say they can install the solar, I am investigating the actual equipment.
Or need maybe a good company that can work with or just after the roofers while scaffolding is up.

Solarworld is a good brand panel, they also come with their own branded in-roof kit for slate roofs.

I work for a national Solar PV company so I'm happy to give advice.

Up to a point, the PV company and quality of the install is more important than the kit used, a really well designed system, even using cheapish panels and a reasonable inverter may well out perform a badly designed and installed system using the best kit on the market..

Choose a company that talks about system design and structural calcs over one that produces high figures on paper...

Reply to Solar PV for my new roof? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net