Discuss Solar PV to charge Electric car - Please help with system design in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Emily

-
Reaction score
Hey!
I am designing a solar PV tree able to generate 3400kWh annually / has a capacity of 4kW, as the trees will consist of multiple panels I'll need to work out the best way to connect these panels to produce the current and voltage I need (the system will be grid tied). This system will be located in an airport where it is possible to implement up to 100 of these trees. I would like to design the system to be capable of charging multiple BEV's in short-stay carparks (the model I am using for design purposes is the Nissan LEAF - 24kWh battery - for airport I can assume most cars will not need a full charge, just a top up, so will assume an average of 14kWh needed for each car) - I'm a little confused by the options - As the PV output is DC and the battery intake is DC would it not make most sense to design the tree for Rapid DC charging (as the capacity is only 4kW I would imagine that would require multiple trees connected to produce this (rapid DC would also be good for fast turn around of cars in the short-stay car park and therefore increased profit) - is this possible and even feasible, would that require a storage unit to cope with potentially multiple DCQC units running at once ? and does this mean I can skip out needing an inverter (but then it would be good to have MPPT so would that work?

or would I have to stick to a fast AC charger (7kW - 22kW), in which case what components would I need? and would it be more cost effective to have a battery or would that not be needed with the grid tied system?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm new to electronics so would really appreciate the help :)

The vast majority of electric cars do not have an eternal DC connection direct to the batteries.
Instead they have charge control circuitry built into the car.
This ensures maximum compatibility with the relevent battery.
So connections to cars will have to be AC.

I’m not a solar expert but do have a system at home, this seems to be very simple thing to achieve.

Install your array and inverter as normal and use something like a Apollo Gem that has outputs with a programmable thresholds. This will turn on your normal charger when you are generating the preset amount of energy you require.

I have no idea about car chargers but obviously you will need one well below your 4kW array. Or have suitably sized one.

So you will only be charging when you are generating. However, winter months will be a problem.

Hi,you cannot assume or guess the charging requirements,you will have know these,and design for best/worst scenario.

When you say "grid tied" is that FIT related,or regarding night charging?

Reply to Solar PV to charge Electric car - Please help with system design in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net