Discuss SolarFlash - Slate Roof flashing solution in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, we're currently putting in place a plan to stock/promote/distribute this solution for slate flashing when fitting PV. It was brought to my attention by a well-respected client of ours and we feel it is pretty nifty - anyone else have any experience or thoughts?

SolarFlash

Thanks in advance, Andy

Using it in a few weeks for the first time so we'll know more in a few weeks how easy it is to use and how time consuming it is.

Does not work on a Scottish slate roof. Slates need to be nailed to battens for it to work. We have slates nailed directly to the sarking. (Close boarding). Have posted before on solution north of the border. Solar flash is not it.

is that in stock yet Andy?

as Ian says, we'll be needing an order from you for a couple of weeks time please.

Solar King - sod MCS, we'll still be installing hanger bolts on sarking board - they seem completely clueless about the fact that all Scottish roofs have sarking board on them, and unless it's counter battened there's often no chance of finding the rafter from above to mount their preferred brackets and flashing solutions to the rafters.

I still genuinely believe that hanger bolts installed by competent installers are the best solution for most retrofit slate and yorkshire stone roofs, and we will still use the best solution for each situation regardless of MCS 'guidance'.

We've been visiting old slate installs using hanger bolts and have yet to find any evidence of problems at all.

We now give customers the choice, explain the pros and cons of both options, explain MCS position and ours, and let the customer chose - most retrofit clients so far have chosen hanger bolts, listed building officers also prefer them as they minimise the disturbance to the slates, and allow for the original roof to be reinstated if the panels are removed simply via small patches of lead flashing behind the small holes in the slates.

On the other hand, I have seen a terrible job done by another company on a new build using hanger bolts where they've missed the 38mm trusses, split trusses etc etc (for the record, I'd not be using the bolts on anything under 50mm,at least not directly, would need noggins).

[/tangent]
We're using these flashing kits on a new build slate roof with 38mm trusses, makes more sense on new build if we can work with the slaters to install at the same time as they fit the slates.

If I can find the other thread I will post a link. We have a method to drill slate and use a hanger bolt which we are entirely satisfied meets the requirements of the MCS/ECA guide.

Interestingly I have had recent contact with Solar Limpets who are also fully confident their fixing method to slate is also compliant and intend to prove it. They have also had their product tested by BBA for MCS012.

i would love to find a hanger bolt with a small enough thread to screw in to an engineered truss with an M8 top end. Would be very useful for modern slate roofs.

yeah we can make our method work by also using a strip of lead flashing, however I actually don't like doing this unless needed (ie unless it's close to the edge of a slate) because it stops us being able to properly see and double check all the water proofing gaskets are properly compressed against the slate - just the right amount.

It's nuts that most solar water heating manufacturers have been speccing these as standard for 20 years precisely because they're stronger and less prone to cracking the tiles / slates than brackets when used with the much heavier solar water heating panels, but the PV group of MCS got a bee in their bonnets about them and decide it's not good enough for PV because a few idiots have been installing it badly.

The only kingspan officially approved fixing method on kingspan insulated roofs to maintain their warranty is hanger bolts .......

Reply to SolarFlash - Slate Roof flashing solution in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net