Discuss SolarImmersion - Permanent Live in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mark Gee

Recently had the solarimmersion installed to make use of all the winter sun (lol). NICEIC elec wired it in and I checked his wiring and it looks right to me.

It has been factory reset and cailibrated with the PV turned off and it does have the correct message on the display.

The output goes through an old fused switch with LED before hitting the immersion/element

Even at night (ie zero PV load being produced), the switch's LED comes on SOMETIMES. I would only expect that to happen when the PV is in surplus and the solarimmersion is diverting OR when I have manually overridden it.

If I do the manual override and then ESC (to turn it off) then USUALLY the LED goes off on the switch (which I would expect)

1. Is it a faulty unit?

Or am I missing something?

Recently had the solarimmersion installed to make use of all the winter sun (lol). NICEIC elec wired it in and I checked his wiring and it looks right to me.

It has been factory reset and cailibrated with the PV turned off and it does have the correct message on the display.

The output goes through an old fused switch with LED before hitting the immersion/element

Even at night (ie zero PV load being produced), the switch's LED comes on SOMETIMES. I would only expect that to happen when the PV is in surplus and the solarimmersion is diverting OR when I have manually overridden it.

If I do the manual override and then ESC (to turn it off) then USUALLY the LED goes off on the switch (which I would expect)

1. Is it a faulty unit?

Or am I missing something?

Assuming its wired correctly internally as to the manual, have you actually measured the voltage of the output, as the LED illuminating maynot necessarily mean there is power/load applied ??

or check the DNO meter when the LED lits up - any signs of major load shown there !

Be interesting to know what you find .................

Assuming its wired correctly internally as to the manual, have you actually measured the voltage of the output, as the LED illuminating maynot necessarily mean there is power/load applied ??
or check the DNO meter when the LED lits up - any signs of major load shown there !
Be interesting to know what you find .................

99.9% sure it is wired correctly.(the led switch/light thing may well not be)
well.
it now says 9% diverting and it is sunny outside and the LED light is on and flickering. Fair enough, that seems right.
when it was on last night it said 0%
i haven't measured the power/load but i have looked at may various flow sensors for the house and i don't THINK it was letting 3kw go through ;-)
so i guess my concerns are: an occasional trickle; and the unit not being quite right. i guess over time the occasional trickle might add up to a bit. but it is a bit of a worry that it is on sometimes but not others in some apparently random way.
could the element/immersion somehow be linked up to the gas boiler and some current in the eves going through that??? (I guess anything is possible!)

You are not alone! We have two Solarimmersion units installed within the family and both exhibit this behaviour. I have previously posted on the subject.
It only happens at night, and only when the HWC water temperature exceeds the tank immersion stat setting. In our case this is due to linked woodburners within our systems, in your case presumably your gas boiler is providing the heat. I reckon if you either turn up your immersion stat or turn down your gas boiler a bit then the glowing neon symptom will disappear!

Whatever the cause, it doesn't appear to affect the workings of the SI unit, which seems to do its job as prescribed.
I've found that asking the company for an explanation is a futile excercise, their customer service is effectively non-existant.

Reply to SolarImmersion - Permanent Live in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net