Discuss Solution to butchered down lights??! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I don’t know if I’m just unlucky but every time I’m called out to a down light the thing falls out of the ceiling the minute I look at it.

On closer inspection it looks like the “hole” has been “cut” with a twelve gauge.

Are there any after market products to resolve this problem?

Or is the only option to fill and reposition?

The only thing I can think of is these:-

Downlight Converter Kit - White - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MLHCW.html

But they are a light fitting in themselves. I've used them several times with great success when changing from nasty old filament spots.

I vaguely recall a similar question a while back where if my memory isn't completely addled, someone posted something similar but it's purpose was to address the situation you find yourself in.

Failing that, it might be a better plan to cut out a bigger section, secure a new piece of board with battens around the edge and get them to have it skimmed then refit :)

your lucky, its normally the case when i come across a downlight its up there good and tight and wont come down for love or money!! springs like a mouse trap on them...
some of them are a nightmare to remove...
I do recall seeing some flexi plastic edging being used to seal the holes and make them a tighter fit, it was a sort of rubbery material and fire rated, a bit like grommit strip but for plaster board instead of metal. came in a roll and you cut it to size. Then put in the hole and it gripped the light. somebody else might know the make of it...

I was just about to suggest the same but I am unaware of a fire rated version. Another option is to replace with a larger downlight that will fill the existing hole, may still be more cost effective than repair and redecoration of the existing lights

i have used hard as nails before , put a few bits on the back of the rim and pushed up onto the ceiling, held for a minute and was all good. then a little intumescant sealant to finish off if needed.

[QUOTE="Gavin John Hyde, post: 1411092, member: 101583”]springs like a mouse trap on them...
[/QUOTE]

Isnt it amazing how you always manage to out your fingers right underneath where the sorings are too when you remove them.

Designers of down-lights should improve on those springs, they seem to weaken. I had the same situation, I just put a decorators filler around the rim of the fitting and screwed something on the sides of the fitting temporarily, just until it dries. So the fitting stays in position.

Not sure how well I can describe what I do but here goes :- I use my solid board cutter (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline...1529080181&sr=8-2&keywords=solid+board+cutter) and cut a circle in some 3mm ply or hardboard. If the downlight I want to fit requires a 75mm hole for example, I use a 75mm holesaw in the centre of the circle I have just cut out. This leaves me with a hole with a 1" ring around it. Cut this ring with a saw (only once) and you have a flexible ring that you can feed up through the butchered hole and you then have something to fill to and also something for the downlighter springs to bear on

Reply to Solution to butchered down lights??! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net