Discuss Solutions for Surface mount to conduit. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pat H

-
Reaction score
Anyone got any other solutions for getting from a surface mount socket to surface mount conduit (plastic)

I often have to add a radial spur from a ring main socket.
Assuming I need to retain the double gang 13A outlet I either:

Add a single gang back box next to the double socket.
Stick a Fuse Switched Spur (can be RCD'd if ring final isn't)
Take the output from that to one side in the wall and then out into a conduit terminal box. Then extended the conduit as required.

The other method is to use a surface mounted single gang back box for the FCU and extend the conduit from the side of that. The cable from the double gang 13A coming out into the back of the surface FCU.

Any other neat solutions to get from below surface to over surface conduit?

If I've got it right, you've got a RFC chased into a wall and you want to extend off it in conduit? I've not done this so far. For aesthetics I extend using the same installation method. Maybe I've misunderstood?

If I've got it right, you've got a RFC chased into a wall and you want to extend off it in conduit? I've not done this so far. For aesthetics I extend using the same installation method. Maybe I've misunderstood?

Yes that's correct and if its practical I'll extend by chasing but its not always the least cost solution for a cost aware client where cost and a practical solution are of more concern than a visually nice looking option.
Coming surface mount with conduit allows faster coverage of ground and far less mess.

Once I start chasing out and then making good it takes longer, makes more mess and costs more. Obviously where visually it has to look good its the only option but often its in utility spaces and the conduit is behind white goods etc anyway.

Both of the methods above I use and work fine just looking for fresh ideas. So yes chasing and hiding it all is an option.

Ok, got it. I'd take the last 2g outlet from the wall and plaster hole. Then proceed to pattress away using one with conduit knockouts. Cheers.

Ah that's a neat idea. Thanks

That works fine if its a single gang flush socket but most of the time I seem to be faced with a double gang. And often they don't want to lose that double gang. But bringing the double gang out to a pattress and then extending sideways to a FCU in a single pattress and then from that with conduit would work.
I just need to do some more digging on various adapter to have a selection of choices available. The more choices the easier to find the right solution.

One option would be this sort of idea:
TC2 Mounting Hardware - Vision | Produkte für die Audio- und Video-Installation - http://visionaudiovisual.com/techconnect/tc2_mounting/

Basically a pattress that sits on top of the original back box. (you need really long screws!)
That way you can use the original back box as a junction box for the short cable feed to the front box.
That is a poor solution in my opinion, those screws will never secure the new box correctly and you could argue conductors into the box are not correctly contained. I have yet to see a "neat" solution for this.

That is a poor solution in my opinion, those screws will never secure the new box correctly and you could argue conductors into the box are not correctly contained. I have yet to see a "neat" solution for this.
I dunno, looks okay to me. But again, its converting single gang flush socket to twin surface, not twin flush to twin surface.

I did a job like this recently and use a pvc double box over an existing single:

Solutions for Surface mount to conduit. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Solutions for Surface mount to conduit. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Solutions for Surface mount to conduit. IMG_3334 - Copy.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Solutions for Surface mount to conduit. IMG_3335 - Copy.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Yes that's just the sort of thing. Its just that I rarely get a single socket they always seem to be doubles.

Reply to Solutions for Surface mount to conduit. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock