Discuss Some advice adding sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

He did - but he also suggested that two cables make it likely to be a ring, whereas in reality it gives absolutely no indication one way or the other.

Aren't the majority of sockets on a ring, in the domestic setting?

Aren't the majority of sockets on a ring, in the domestic setting?
Depends. You could argue that traditionally ring final circuits tended to be used (in the UK). Certainly there's every chance of finding radial final circuits for socket outlets now (or a combination of ring and radial circuits).

Depends. You could argue that traditionally ring final circuits tended to be used (in the UK). Certainly there's every chance of finding radial final circuits for socket outlets now (or a combination of ring and radial circuits).

But the majority of circuits would be ring. Therefore @Taylortwocities statement "If there are two cables, then it is likely that the original socket is on a ring final circuit. But you would need to test if this is the case." is correct. Yes some circuits are radial.

and some are a mixture, some are lollipop, some are total bodges.

Didn't realise I'd be sparking off an in-depth debate over sockets, interesting comments, can see you're all passionate about your craft, with a variety installation possibilities

But the majority of circuits would be ring. Therefore @Taylortwocities statement "If there are two cables, then it is likely that the original socket is on a ring final circuit. But you would need to test if this is the case." is correct. Yes some circuits are radial.
You know fine well that this was not the intent of the statement. It was intended to suggest that the fact that there are two cables present is indicative of it being a ring when clearly that is not the case.

You know fine well that this was not the intent of the statement. It was intended to suggest that the fact that there are two cables present is indicative of it being a ring when clearly that is not the case.

All depends on how you read the post mate.

Any alteration or addition to a sockets circuit needs testing too verify the type of circuit before any work is carried out. DIY/Kitchen fitters/plumbers never do which is why perfectly satisfactory circuits end up non-compliant balls ups after they've been at them. These people do not realise that if it works that does not make it safe.

@Taylortwocities doesn’t need defending but he stated it would need testing. Posts need to be read before opinions are given.
To be fair TTC did say that if there were 2 cables at the socket then it is likely to be on a RFC full stop.
Which in itself is a misleading statement, as most of the sockets on a radial circuit will have two cables apart from the last one.
TTC did then add that it would need testing if that was the case, the circuit would need testing whatever type of circuit it was, I don't believe I was snipping at TTC and take exception to that accusation.

To be fair TTC did say that if there were 2 cables at the socket then it is likely to be on a RFC full stop.
Which in itself is a misleading statement, as most of the sockets on a radial circuit will have two cables apart from the last one.
TTC did then add that it would need testing if that was the case, the circuit would need testing whatever type of circuit it was, I don't believe I was snipping at TTC and take exception to that accusation.

All depends on how you interpret the post mate. Maybe he thought that seeing that the majority of circuits in houses are ring then it more than likely the this is one and not a spare, due to the two wires. Then added that this would need to be tested. Nothing misleading in that, in my mind.

All depends on how you interpret the post mate. Maybe he thought that seeing that the majority of circuits in houses are ring then it more than likely the this is one and not a spare, due to the two wires. Then added that this would need to be tested. Nothing misleading in that, in my mind.
Well I would guess your interoretation is far removed from mine.

Reply to Some advice adding sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net