Discuss Some observations on my recent shopping. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Most of you will probably be far more experienced than I am in seeking out deals, but I thought I would share my latest acquisitions in case they might be of interest.

1. I can't do without my ancient 30 year old B&D Workmate 700, which has seen me through so many projects. However, 2 floppy main legs with broken springs, and 3 missing rubber feet on the main legs, meant time for a refurb. My first ever order with Tools and Parts Direct got me, in 2 days, a set of 4 new springs/rods and 4 new rubber feet, for about £14...why had I not sorted this before? Great service, good website.
2. I needed a new impact driver...using my DeWalt combi drill/driver/hammer is no longer an option...oh, it works fine, but it's not very compact and my hands are not as strong as they used to be...and screwing loads of screws by hand is not an option. I tried my usual outlet, Screwfix, and they didn't have the latest version of the DeWalt I wanted, and were selling the older version for £109.99, for the bare unit (no battery or charger, which is what I wanted as I have that other stuff). Long story short, the best price I could find was at UK Planet Tools, for the latest, variable speed, version for £81.90, both prices inc Vodka and Tonic. Free delivery too, from Planet! 24 hours later and I have screwed everything in sight! (I wish!)
3. Extra battery for my 18V DeWalt range now required...decided on the 4Ah version, as it is the best power/cost ratio by far according to my research.
Screwfix=£74.99
ToolDen=£54.99 (and 5Ah = £57.5)
Tools and Parts = £47.99

(oddly, 1.3/1.5Ah varies from around £79, why?)

Sorry if this has been boring! If it saves anyone a few quid, or makes you buy that extra battery to make life easier, that's good!
I will simply add I am not affiliated to any of these companies, and while I am a staunch Screwfix customer due to them being rather good for many things and very local to me, it seems clear that you really need to shop around. My hat is off to Tools+Parts, and UK Planet Tools on this occasion.

None of you lot got a wind-up drill?

The modern,recoil sprung motors,are streets ahead of anything in the past.

They just need winding up,via a 10mm stud,on the side of the recoil drum.

I usually wind mine up,at the beginning of the day,using a 10mm socket on my new Hilti cordless...

Rpa07, not advertising, I promise! Never dealt with these companies til this week...but a saving of £30 -50 on a drill, and £25 on a battery, and good service on the B&D spares is good news...being Scottish i like to watch the baw-bees!

PEG, I have 2 windy drills...you know, the ones where you turn the handle on the big wheel? A delight for precision work, but rubbish in brickwork:)

Love a bargain myself too. I have a new drill set coming tomorrow. Was looking round for a smaller sds+ as my current battery one is a weighty bugger with sometimes a little too much oompf for some jobs.
Decided on a lighter one and did the usual shopping around on the web. Found it in stock for £279 with 2 batteries, case and charger.

Did a bit more poking and found I could get that set but with an extra combi drill, worth another £70-80, for £239 elsewhere.

:D

Shopping around? Brilliant!
Very pleased with my new DCF887 though...small and light with the tiny 1.5Ah batteries, massive power with the 4Ah one. She wanted a new breadmaker...

Just a quick update on my new DeWalt impact driver...I see someone in another thread is using an impact driver to screw in 3.5mm screws, but i think was a wind-up!
Anyway, I was a bit sceptical, but have used it a few times for some small jobs like re-siting skirtings etc. Plenty powerful.
Today I decided to replace some part-rotted fencing round the decking...4" square posts held in by 6" coach bolts which I drove in by SDS and finished off with socket and ratchet, 10 years ago...
put nut-driver and 13mm socket in impact driver, set to reverse...8 of them out in less than 30 seconds!

Replaced the 1" boarding at floor level, with the same coachbolts, well, new ones but same size...drove them in so fast i was in danger of going right through...
Probably not news to many of you experienced guys, but a revelation to me as to the torque these tools produce! I can take the wheels off my car in 20 seconds, with a battery powered driver!
Love my new toy!!!
(As Mrs Pirate once said to me...but a loooooong time ago)

Last edited:

Reply to Some observations on my recent shopping. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net