Discuss Some people are unbelievable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MJPD29

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Had a call from a couple tonight saying they were concerned with the electrical work in their 6 bedroom home which had been retried around 6 months ago. I got there and had a quick look about to give them a quote to finish up odds and ends after the electrician had 'disappeared'. without even starting testing i checked a few things and was shocked with what i saw. PME head on incoming cable, yet no earth out of esco to board. i was surprised so i opened the board cover to test it. yep, no earth to board, or anything for that matter. Once the board was open it was a host of problems. 2x 1mm flexes connected to 32a breakers, 10.5kw shower wired on 6mm and 50a mcb, huge hole for cable entry in back of board, essentially ruining fire rating. They had also complained about 2 'crackling' light switches. opened them up (they were chrome) to find loose connections. plate was earthed to backbone, but obviously no earth was present. I asked was there a certificate supplied, and i know in northern ireland its not statutory, but surely any self respecting spark would have tested it before it was energised to at the very least see if it was safe to turn on. i literally can't believe someone would leave a job like this. they've already been paid and are now uncontactable as would be expected. How can people actually get work doing this and get away with it? its just beyond my belief. sorry for the long story, i feel like a weight has been lifted after that rant lol

being NI they have a habit of dealing with things a bit differently depending on the part of town you live in, I have friends over there who had issues with a cowboy builder. they had a word with some lads down the pub who then located and got the builder to agree to paying my friends the money paid back.. they were what we could call rather 'persuasive!!!' just an idea...???

being NI they have a habit of dealing with things a bit differently depending on the part of town you live in, I have friends over there who had issues with a cowboy builder. they had a word with some lads down the pub who then located and got the builder to agree to paying my friends the money paid back.. they were what we could call rather 'persuasive!!!' just an idea...???
was he missing part of his kneecap after the stern talking to? lol

Well it is fortunate for them you know whats what and can help them sort it out. I do feel a bit sorry for them though, how can they know what they are getting. Anyway its Matthewd29 to the rescue then?
in all honesty i think they should come bak and rectify all of it, iv asked them to see if they can get in contact with him or the builder and see what they are going to do about it but somehow i don't think they'll have much luck!

Just because you are in NI does that excuse anyone from not giving a certificate ? Don't you guys follow BS 7671?
apparently not everyone, but we have zero building regulations for domestic electrical work and i presume he is using that to get out of it

I was thinking the cable size depending on clipping or how it was run would be something to further look at just wasnt sure if the breaker size was also being made an issue?
With a fixed load of 45A and a 6mm² cable clipped direct then it would be permissible to install a 50A breaker for short circuit protection only as the cable cannot overload.
However the installers in this case I would suggest have in no way considered any of this and are total incompetents.

apparently not everyone, but we have zero building regulations for domestic electrical work and i presume he is using that to get out of it
Eh?
We don't have the Part P notified work mess that England & Wales has, but plenty of building regulations apply to plenty of domestic Electrical work when Building control are involved (mainly extensions/renovations and new builds).

And we have exactly the same BS7671.

Eh?
We don't have the Part P notified work mess that England & Wales has, but plenty of building regulations apply to plenty of domestic Electrical work when Building control are involved (mainly extensions/renovations and new builds).

And we have exactly the same BS7671.
Im aware of BS7671. What building regulations do we have relating to domestic electrical work?

EDIT that did not sound as I intended it to, it is a general question not a demand lol

Im aware of BS7671. What building regulations do we have relating to domestic electrical work?

EDIT that did not sound as I intended it to, it is a general question not a demand lol

Smoke Detectors/Fire Alarm (Part E & Technical Booklet E)
Resistance of Spread of fire (Part E & Technical Booklet E)
Carbon Monoxide Alarm (Part L & Technical Booklet L)
Heights of Accessories (Part R & Technical Booklet R)
Mechanical Ventilation (Extract Fans/MVHR/Drymaster) (Part K & Technical Booklet K)
Conservation of energy (LED lighting etc) (Part F & Technical Booklet F1)
Resistance to Passage of Sound (Part G & Technical Booklet G)
Reducing the risk of scalding (Part P(we do have Part P after all) and Technical Booklet P)

And a fair few other bits as well. You may well have seen a lot of them listed as notes on architects drawings

Smoke Detectors/Fire Alarm (Part E & Technical Booklet E)
Resistance of Spread of fire (Part E & Technical Booklet E)
Carbon Monoxide Alarm (Part L & Technical Booklet L)
Heights of Accessories (Part R & Technical Booklet R)
Mechanical Ventilation (Extract Fans/MVHR/Drymaster) (Part K & Technical Booklet K)
Conservation of energy (LED lighting etc) (Part F & Technical Booklet F1)
Resistance to Passage of Sound (Part G & Technical Booklet G)
Reducing the risk of scalding (Part P(we do have Part P after all) and Technical Booklet P)

And a fair few other bits as well. You may well have seen a lot of them listed as notes on architects drawings
Thanks for all that but still none if then enforce anyone to hand out a certificate for their work, i am not sure about part p but I do think we need something in this department to enforce people a little

Thanks for all that but still none if then enforce anyone to hand out a certificate for their work, i am not sure about part p but I do think we need something in this department to enforce people a little
I don't see why it should be a building reg to push for that, Part P in England/Wales certainly doesn't. It is part of BS 7671. We need something like Gas Safe, but that's been said time and again and is nowhere near happening.

Reply to Some people are unbelievable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock