Discuss Some pics from a FULL rewire. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This issue with the NICEIC is about as stupid as school and hospital inspections - i.e they are told about the inspections in advance so of course it all looks OK.

Randon inspects for members who have been "reported" has to be the way forward, else all us decent chaps will get stuffed!

Dear Forum - I have only just come across this forum thanks to someone sending a PM message.

I can assure you NICEIC takes very seriously any complaint made against one of our contractors. If the customer makes a complaint direct we will carry out a full investigation, send out an engineer to do an inspection and, if required, order the contractor to rectify the work to the required standard.

No complaint has been made on this occasion from the customer but if Zeddess would like to PM me the details of the contractor he/she believes carried out the work we can carry out an investigation and speak to the contractor direct if they are found to be at fault.

NICEIC operates the most robust and rigorous qualification for registration requirements in the UK. This includes, but is not limited to, an inspection of a representative sample of the companies work, assessment at their premises to ensure they have documentation and records, employs only competent persons to carry out electrical work, has evidence of required insurances and an, inspection of their equipment and premises. Most importantly, it includes a requirement for regular periodic inspections and assessments of organisations and principle named individuals to ensure standards are continually met.

However, in the same way that theDVLA cannot oversee every journey carried out by those with a driving licence, the NICEIC is not in a position to test every electrical installation itself. The fact that a contractor has been approved to work to best industry standards on assessment cannot, regrettably, rule out the possibility that a contractor, or someone working for them, may be negligent in relation to a specific electrical installation in the future. just as drivers have a duty of care to respect the rules of the road at all times, so do electricians assessed by NICEIC.

If a contractor is found to be guilty of not keeping within the rules and regulations for enrolement, they will be de-registered immediately. Last year we de-registered 518 contractors who failed to meet the strict requirements of enrolment .

I hope this answers some of the forum’s queries and as mentioned will be happy to deal with Zedess’ complaint. I would also urge any other contractors who come across similar incidents to get in touch with NICEIC direct – as we can only act on these issues if we are informed of them. Email [email protected]

Finally, apologies for lack of interaction on the forum lately – NICEIC will endeavor to check and respond, where appropriate, more regularly in the future.

Reminds me of the shock-wave going through the hospitals when arranged inspections were dropped for unannounced random inspections...all of a sudden the shocking truth came out as the management couldn't prop up staff and clean the area's ready fo a predetermined inspection thus its found most hospitals were way below their perceived standards..... its time for the NICEIC to bring the same random time/job inspections to ensure all members are of a recognised standard and maybe they will get the stamp of approval they once held for any of there members..... they lost the plot years ago - a NICEIC stamp of approval no longer holds the high level it once did and many questions have to be asked why ...it seems contradictory that a non profit organisation seems more intent on maxing income as oppose to ensuring high standards of its members.

It would be nice to see some input from an NICEIC representative if not from the head management themselves, to explain many of the questions high lighted here and numerous posts over the yrs.

Edit ... written before above responses but still interested to see a response either way how you can expect to route out poor standards by members when they choose where you look .... i know my old boss only took you on my jobs as his other staff did very dodgy things in deed a big contribution to me leaving.

Its akin to playing hide and seek where the seeker is told he can only look in a couple of places out of the hundreds available ...what chance are there of finding anyone unless they were stupid enough to stand in front of them!

Last edited:
After reading through this thread again, I've just had to look at the pictures again, all I can say is Phew what a load of crap lol

Dear Forum - I have only just come across this forum thanks to someone sending a PM message.

I can assure you NICEIC takes very seriously any complaint made against one of our contractors. If the customer makes a complaint direct we will carry out a full investigation, send out an engineer to do an inspection and,
if required, order the contractor to rectify the work to the required standard.

No complaint has been made on this occasion from the customer but if Zeddess would like to PM me the details of the contractor he/she believes carried out the work we can carry out an investigation and speak to the contractor direct if they are found to be at fault.
NICEIC operates the most robust and rigorous qualification for registration requirements in the UK. This includes, but is not limited to, an inspection of a representative sample of the companies work, assessment at their premises to ensure they have documentation and records, employs only competent persons to carry out electrical work, has evidence of required insurances and an, inspection of their equipment and premises. Most importantly, it includes a requirement for regular periodic inspections and assessments of organisations and principle named individuals to ensure standards are continually met.

However, in the same way that theDVLA cannot oversee every journey carried out by those with a driving licence, the NICEIC is not in a position to test every electrical installation itself. The fact that a contractor has been approved to work to best industry standards on assessment cannot, regrettably, rule out the possibility that a contractor, or someone working for them, may be negligent in relation to a specific electrical installation in the future. just as drivers have a duty of care to respect the rules of the road at all times, so do electricians assessed by NICEIC.

If a contractor is found to be guilty of not keeping within the rules and regulations for enrolement, they will be de-registered immediately. Last year we de-registered 518 contractors who failed to meet the strict requirements of enrolment .

I hope this answers some of the forum’s queries and as mentioned will be happy to deal with Zedess’ complaint. I would also urge any other contractors who come across similar incidents to get in touch with NICEIC direct – as we can only act on these issues if we are informed of them. Email [email protected]

Finally, apologies for lack of interaction on the forum lately – NICEIC will endeavor to check and respond, where appropriate, more regularly in the future.
whats this rubbish.....?
i thought the pics spoke for themselves...
how about a pledge to strike this turnip of your list...full stop.
i heard similar nonsense eminating from tony Cable`s mouth the other week when i was talking to him....
about how Part p had made the industry a whole lot better, safer etc....
what a load of old crap....

scams: bin em

5 week courses: bin em

silly on line guess exams: bin em

replace with a national register of qualified, competant electricians....no proper quals attained at college whilst undergoing sustained on site training (such as an apprenticeship)....then you aint coming in.....end of.

I can assure you NICEIC takes very seriously any complaint made against one of our contractors. If the customer makes a complaint direct we will carry out a full investigation, send out an engineer to do an inspection and, if required, order the contractor to rectify the work to the required standard.

I hardly think that is true, nor do you maintain or uphold standards.

NICEIC ENGINEER;8051[COLOR=#222222 said:

[/COLOR]NICEIC operates the most robust and rigorous qualification for registration requirements in the UK. This includes, but is not limited to, an inspection of a representative sample of the companies work,
I know of one person who passed off his mate's work as his own and got AC status, he's quite proud of that too because he brags about how easy it was to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year we de-registered 518 contractors who failed to meet the strict requirements of enrolment .

Thanks for your reply.

Is it possible for you to give a breakdown on the reasons for de-registering? ie, were these all for failure to comply with the installation requirements of BS7671, or were there other sorts of non-compliance in this total (lack of insurance, lack of complaints register, failure to pay fee, etc)?

Thanks for your reply.

Is it possible for you to give a breakdown on the reasons for de-registering? ie, were these all for failure to comply with the installation requirements of BS7671, or were there other sorts of non-compliance in this total (lack of insurance, lack of complaints register, failure to pay fee, etc)?
...lol...
that`l be it....

Thanks for your reply.

Cripes, struck off for lack of a register - that is serious!

replace with a national register of qualified, competant electricians....no proper quals attained at college whilst undergoing sustained on site training (such as an apprenticeship)....then you aint coming in.....end of.

Who's to say this chap doesn't meet that criteria? They are supposed to check all that at annual assessment. I always show them my quals.

I would be happy for the NICEIC or building control for that matter to assess my work on a random basis whenever I notify a job.

It doesn't matter who did the work it's just ****e and the customer suffers again. Send the details to the NICEIC and let them get involved.

I've just joined the forum and was struck by the similarity of this 'rewire' to one that my 90 year old mother-in-law had last year. I am an ex electrician from a full apprenticeship with the London Electricity Board back in the 1960's. Work to instal a new bathroom was organised by my sister-in-law and the plumber identified some old wiring. Despite my instructions to the plumber (over the 'phone whilst I was on holiday) to concentrate on his plumbing an electrician was called in who then disconnected the whole supply including freezer and started to remove consumer units etc. This electrician was supposedly fully qualified and a member of the appropriate organisation. My siste-in-law got rather intimidated by the situation and the rewire commenced an the price increased. I had a further few 'phone calls with the electrician and gave him a verbal spec some of which he ignored as it was perhaps a bit tricky for him. All-in-all a farce. I live some distance from mother-in-law and it was some time before I visited. The standard of work was similar to the 'photos and in some instances I consider to be potentially dangerous. The electrician supposedly issued a certificate but it was no more than something he filled in that he could have printed from the internet. I also took 'photos, contacted NICIEC? and did not get much help when I asked whether he was registered. Their on-line search facility was cumbersome and nearly useless. I also contacted the Citizens Advice Bureau about flagging the electrician as a potential danger but was told I would have to ensure I followed the problem up myself. The family had been trying to do this for the previous few months. My mother-in-law's health is bad and we considered any further follow up would be very disturbing for her.
I suppose I am surprised that with all of this protection that we are supposed to get from the Regulators etc. that this type of shoddy and dangerous and expensive work can go on. All of my work as an electricity board electrician was inspected and tested by a foremen. It seems that NICIEC should be doing similar regular checks for everyone registered with them.
Currently I am helping my son-in-law sort out some problems with his PV Installation (not installed very well- Over voltage and cables too small) also with his Solar Water heating- lots of issues here the last one to resolve is the flow and return to panels are wrong way round. Both supposedly installed by qualified tradesmen then inspected and certificates issued. The installers are either now not in that business or are evasive when approached. So have we got a lot of rogue tradesmen in this country and where are the so-called regulators and what recourse does a customer have.
Sorry for the rant but found this excellent forum when looking at the PV issues.

waking up next to me is a nightmare according to 'er indoors.

Who's to say this chap doesn't meet that criteria? They are supposed to check all that at annual assessment. I always show them my quals.

I would be happy for the NICEIC or building control for that matter to assess my work on a random basis whenever I notify a job.

It doesn't matter who did the work it's just ****e and the customer suffers again. Send the details to the NICEIC and let them get involved.
you mean like this guy did (NIC ENGINEER)...?
all a publicity stunt....they aint interested

and whats this about the chap who did that mountain of shyte `meeting criteria`..?

take a look at the pics man......
does that look like meeting any sort of criteria to you?

Just some of the things done by a so called qualified electrician in Romford. And that was after 9months and 2 re-visits to correct and re-finish the job.
2013-01-10 11.30.00.jpg2013-01-10 11.30.26.jpg2013-01-10 11.31.11.jpg2013-01-10 11.32.06.jpg2013-01-10 11.34.00.jpg2013-01-10 11.55.31.jpg

ford.

Reply to Some pics from a FULL rewire. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net