Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss someone help me on this please I carnt work it out in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. leon92

leon92 Guest

what is meant by the term "basic protection" In relationship to electric shock ? a) contact with parts or conductors that are live under fault conditions. b) contact with parts or conductors that are not intended to be live unless there is a fault. c) contact with parts or conductors that are not intended to be live. d) contact with parts or conductors that are intended to be live. Be very helpfull if you give reason for the answer thankyou :) ?

2. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

basic protection = protection against electric shock under fault free conditions, this is the defination , now match up

3. SirKit Breaker

SirKit Breaker Guest

Basic protection is what keeps you safe in normal use. A good example, a plastic light switch. Its construction means that you can touch it without getting a shock. Basic protection is usually provided by barriers or enclosures, there are other methods.

Cheers..........Howard

4. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

and welcome

5. SirKit Breaker

SirKit Breaker Guest

Leon,

Can I ask why you ask, curiosity, are you in training, or is it something you cant get your head around? It is always a good idea to mention it when you ask basic questions. There is nothing wrong with asking the basics, but there are some in here who take great delight in having a go. because they think the forum is only for "experts".

Cheers.............Howard

• Like Like x 4
  6. leon92

leon92 Guest

I am in training and I'm sure its b) tell me if I'm wrong ? Thankyou:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    Not B, you have three choices left!
    From I=P/Us post:
    If basic protection is prevention of electric shock in fault free conditions will the answer be contact with parts that are only live in case of a fault?
    From Sirkits post:
    If there is a plastic light switch that is protecting us from getting a shock, if there always a fault when you turn a light on?

8. brman

brman Guest

Is that the full wording of the question? If it is then it is a typical C&G cr&p question!

Basic protection isn't contact with anything. As i=p/u says it is protection against shock in fault free conditions.

If the wording of each option started "prevention of contact with...." then the question makes more sense and you might need to review your answer ......

9. SirKit Breaker

SirKit Breaker Guest

Scrounge yourself a copy of the 17th edition, the old red one will do, and look it up in Definitions. It will be good practice for you.

Cheers...........Howard

10. leon92

leon92 Guest

Are I its c) then?

11. brman

brman Guest

No.
    Think of it in terms of the definition. "protection against shock in fault free conditions"

Now consider that an obvious form of basic protection is an enclosure or some form of insulation.

Is that enclosure or insulation intended to....
    a)
    prevent contact with parts or conductors that are live under fault conditions.
    b) prevent contact with parts or conductors that are not intended to be live unless there is a fault.
    c) prevent contact with parts or conductors that are not intended to be live.
    d) prevent contact with parts or conductors that are intended to be live.
    ?

A big clue here is in the definition. "fault free conditions"

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
  12. jeffelectric

jeffelectric Regular EF Member

the 2330 gets a lot more complicated than basic protection,

13. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

its one of many questions to understand

14. leon92

leon92 Guest

I carnt get ma head round them and there is the same answers for fault protection which it is totally baffleing me now !!!! :(

15. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

so there's no fault , and your protected from live parts