Discuss someone help me on this please I carnt work it out in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leon92

what is meant by the term "basic protection" In relationship to electric shock ? a) contact with parts or conductors that are live under fault conditions. b) contact with parts or conductors that are not intended to be live unless there is a fault. c) contact with parts or conductors that are not intended to be live. d) contact with parts or conductors that are intended to be live. Be very helpfull if you give reason for the answer thankyou :) ?

Basic protection is what keeps you safe in normal use. A good example, a plastic light switch. Its construction means that you can touch it without getting a shock. Basic protection is usually provided by barriers or enclosures, there are other methods.

Cheers..........Howard

what is meant by the term "basic protection" In relationship to electric shock ? a) contact with parts or conductors that are live under fault conditions. b) contact with parts or conductors that are not intended to be live unless there is a fault. c) contact with parts or conductors that are not intended to be live. d) contact with parts or conductors that are intended to be live. Be very helpfull if you give reason for the answer thankyou :) ?

Leon,

Can I ask why you ask, curiosity, are you in training, or is it something you cant get your head around? It is always a good idea to mention it when you ask basic questions. There is nothing wrong with asking the basics, but there are some in here who take great delight in having a go. because they think the forum is only for "experts".

Cheers.............Howard

Not B, you have three choices left!
From I=P/Us post:
If basic protection is prevention of electric shock in fault free conditions will the answer be contact with parts that are only live in case of a fault?
From Sirkits post:
If there is a plastic light switch that is protecting us from getting a shock, if there always a fault when you turn a light on?

Is that the full wording of the question? If it is then it is a typical C&G cr&p question!

Basic protection isn't contact with anything. As i=p/u says it is protection against shock in fault free conditions.

If the wording of each option started "prevention of contact with...." then the question makes more sense and you might need to review your answer ......

Are I its c) then?

No.
Think of it in terms of the definition. "protection against shock in fault free conditions"

Now consider that an obvious form of basic protection is an enclosure or some form of insulation.

Is that enclosure or insulation intended to....
a)
prevent contact with parts or conductors that are live under fault conditions.
b) prevent contact with parts or conductors that are not intended to be live unless there is a fault.
c) prevent contact with parts or conductors that are not intended to be live.
d) prevent contact with parts or conductors that are intended to be live.
?

A big clue here is in the definition. "fault free conditions"

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, if the hints given so far don't help then you are best to go back to your tutor and get him to explain basic/fault protection to you again. Much easier to do this in person than on a forum!

yeah i can remember doing me head in, cause i just wanted to know it all . but i didnt mind asking a zillion questions and holding him back.. so much that he use to chat louder as i had words at end of me tounge and them just looking to get out but didnt want to be rude.. crazy

I would have said don't point out the answer but at this stage there was a 50/50 chance of getting it right.

Basic Protection (Direct Contact in 16th edition money) is simply that - protection from a part that IS meant to be live. Terminals on the back of a light switch, busbar in a CU etc. If you can poke a finger in and get a shock off them then basic protection isn't met.

To the OP, what do you think is meant by the term Fault Protection?

Reply to someone help me on this please I carnt work it out in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net