Currently reading:
Something to laugh about to lift the mood.

Discuss Something to laugh about to lift the mood. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wade88

So i have noticed a fair amount of unhappy posters this last couple of weeks, thought i would throw myself out there as the sacrificial goat of comedy and try to raise some smiles amongst a few of you...

And so, long story cut embarrassingly short, we have this large mixing crucibal here at work 9ft high, 1 tonne capacity, pretty basic stuff, 7.5 kw 3ph motor, 3 heating bands around the mixing bowl on separate phases circa 15kw of heating all in all.

Night shift supervisor comes to me in the morning last week as i get in, bit sheepish, says

"Ben, the control panel to the mixer sort of....well....blew up last night, smoke was pouring from the vents and there was a huge bang" .... *SIGH*

What utter foolishness has one of these numpties done to it now...so i open the panel up and sure enough, the incoming 6mm tails have burnt away, flash burn every where, and the din terminals have completely broken apart like a grenade went off in there. My guess was after the machine has been moved around a bit and this control panel dragged along behind it, terminations came loose and some serious arcing had been occuring until it finally went. So i replaced the tails, replaced the din rails connectors, checked other fuses, ran around with volt meter for a while to just see what was what and all seemed well...

Turn on machine heaters *BANG*.... all goes again, traced voltage back to the point it stops and first phase cartridge fuse downstream of contactor goes down as soon as i select heater band 1....scratched head for a while....figured maybe the SSR took some damage during the initial 'blast' and figured id just replace it from stores anyway. So i disconnect the heaters to take all load of the circuit to see if they were the problem, try again *BANG*, check cable insulation, fine, checked just about everything and was just walking off to get megger when i noticed this......

Now, im ready for the assault here, but in my exp, which we have established lately is limited but i dont feel poor, i am use to the disconnection tab of most MCB's and DIN terminals to be at the bottom, so, when i replaced the damaged DIN T's for the incommers, i automatically just put them in this orientation without a seconds thought, turns out the panel builder had put them in the other way around, so being insulated on one side only and the terminals exposed on the other, i had unknowingly slotted the N incommer terminal next to the first phase of the heaters the other way around so they were just snuggled up, zinc to zinc.....every time i turned it on, dead short and pop.

After some hours, one or two phone calls, and changing over system components that were absolutely fine, it turns out, i was just a massive dork.

Maybe you had to be there...but i had to laugh

Haha That's just reminded me of when i was a lad hahaha me and my mate put one of our other mates in a deflated tent in his bedroom, zipped him up and pushed him down the stairs, haha oh i love remembering child hood memories that have somewhat passed to the back of the old noggin.

Actually crying now! To cut a long story short, he broke his nose...was only 10 aswell. My dear god i wish i was back to that age.

it's a bit cold up here in Scotland just now, so have got the fire going.

i always wear gloves when using the companion set, but only put one glove on if turning logs.

got the tongs out to turn a few logs, did it, then without a moments hesitation, touched them with my other hand for some reason.

it didn't tickle :(

Reply to Something to laugh about to lift the mood. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back