Discuss Something wrong here ! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Eddy currents shouldn’t add to the bill as far as I remember from collage days. The strength of the eddy current is proportional to the current flow through the cores. By generating the eddy current power is lost in the main conductor giving the effect of high volt drop.
I could be wrong on this, I am thinking back over 30 years.

Could a high volt drop lead to higher current flow ?

I will collect the data logger next week and download to my laptop. Hopefully be able to get a clearer picture of what loads are been drawn & when and will also be able to check the recorded voltage readings.

'nearest neighbour is half a mile away'. Seems like it's in the middle of nowhere. Any leakage invoved ?

what about these voltage optimisation units which reduce the voltage to save you money?
reduce the voltage, you increase the current, or the time taken for the kettle to boil. either way, you don't save anything. to raise the temperature if a specific amount of water takes x no. of calories. these calories equate to joules, which equates to kW, energy can't be created, only converted from 1 form to another.

trhe only way you will save with one of these units is on lighting, but your lights will be dimmer. easier and more cost effective to train the kids that switches can be turned off as well as on.

Last edited:
no, it won't the current may be less but the wattage is watt counts.

I’ve never been sure about how electricity meters work – can anyone explain please?

If they accurately measure power: ‘worked out’ by ‘knowing’ both current and voltage, I agree that messing with the voltage does nothing.

But maybe some types measure ONLY current (via some kind of CT arrangement) then do the ‘calculation’ assuming a nominal fixed voltage at 230/400 regardless of what the true value really is.

If the latter I assume increasing the voltage in some way (and hence reducing the current for a given load) would ‘cheat’ the meter.

I’ve never been sure about how electricity meters work – can anyone explain please?

If they accurately measure power: ‘worked out’ by ‘knowing’ both current and voltage, I agree that messing with the voltage does nothing.

But maybe some types measure ONLY current (via some kind of CT arrangement) then do the ‘calculation’ assuming a nominal fixed voltage at 230/400 regardless of what the true value really is.

If the latter I assume increasing the voltage in some way (and hence reducing the current for a given load) would ‘cheat’ the meter.

Look at File:ElectricityMeterMechanism.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A 1KW resistive load at 230V will draw 4.34A.

Apply 240V and the same load will draw 4.53A giving an output of 1.088KW. so raising the voltage increases consumtion for the same applience

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for looking it up Tony – I was too lazy to do it myself :)

So a meter does measure voltage AND current, so genuinely gives an indication of watts per unit time. I agree that messing with the voltage therefore does nothing.
Sure, the power output of resistive appliances is increased with increased voltage, and the meter runs faster and charges you more in unit time, but the kettle boils faster, the thermostat cuts off the immersion heater earlier, and so on. The same total amount of energy is used to do the job.

So how on earth do these voltage regulator things pretend to save money? Maybe by making all your lights dimmer so you can’t see anything so need to switch more on, but for the most expensive loads which need a fixed amount of energy to do their job, they can’t make a blind bit of difference. How do they get away with it?

If you search the forum you’ll find several threads where we’ve ripped them to pieces. In one the manufacturer got involved, not that he got any converts around here!

Reply to Something wrong here ! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net