Discuss Sorry Russian Driving, and the lack of road sense in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry folks lived in The USSR 4 years, never had a road traffic accident, more luck than judgment you may say/
Just been watching Russian driving accidents on youtube, horrendous stuff, take a look when you have 5 or 10 minutes and see for yourself, if you do look what do you think the problem with their driving is? snow, ice, me I reckon it's Vodka, let me know what you think.
Forgot to mention my Russian swear word vocabulary is well versed.

Last edited:
Thankfully when I was in Magnitogorsk I had a chauffeur/body guard who did the driving :)

Different story in Moscow, had to use the trolley buses (which the Chechen rebels were bombing at the time) and the Metro.

Nearly got myself squished first night there though, forgot they drive on the opposite side :)

But yeah, the Russian driving videos are funny. Glad I don't have to drive out there.
Had some serious fun with the local Bill when they stopped me for some obscure reason, flashed my Dip passport and they neary creamed their trousers.

The scariest experience for me was being driven in a taxi from Bykovo airport to Sheremetyevo airport, my Russian extended to ordering two beers and sausage and eggs for breakfast :)

My Russian colleague got dropped off and left me in this cab (read private car), no idea where I was, no idea whether we were even heading in the right direction, boot lid was flapping around, a couple of grand in laptop in the back with all my gear and strict instructions on what to do at the airport.

"Pay the guy in dollars before you get anywhere near security, he'll hand you Roubles, you must be seen to pay him in Roubles by security otherwise you could be arrested." Nice!

I've never seen a stack of cash like it, it was like a house brick of crusty Rouble notes. Mind you, I was almost a millionaire on my first night in Moscow when I changed a load of Dollars :)

I liked Russia, an ex girlfriend was moldovan born with russian parents and grandparents. So was lucky in st petersburg to see real russia away from the big city. Polinas grandparents lived just outside.
You are right they drive like nutters, many have never had a proper lesson let alone hold a licence.
Funniest thing was seeing a a yard full of EU registered cars when we went to get petrol from a rundown station. They were mainly german made, all were stolen then driven back to russia. Given a new registration and sold to locals. Was told that a lot of them were hired in said EU countries with false documents trackers removed and basically vanished.
They were making a fortune.

Russia is one of the most corrupt places on earth. Blessed with abundant prisons, radiation and moonshine. Russians have violence and dishonesty running thick through their blood. They have no regard for human life. The only way to get anything done is to bribe or kill somebody. So in a case of obtaining your driving licence for example. If you learned to drive and got really good at it and are easily competent enough to pass your test, you still wouldn’t pass unless you bribed your examiner. Since your pass is determent by the bribe rather than the quality of your driving, there is no need to learn to drive. Therefore most driving licences are fraudulently obtained. The Iranians on the other hand are truly terrible drivers. They combine the technical incompetence of the Egyptians with the speed and contempt for road rules of the Libyans. They are possibly the worst on this planet and b@tsh!t crazy to boot.:)

Reply to Sorry Russian Driving, and the lack of road sense in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net