Discuss Sources of larger than normal ceiling roses in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Got a job fitting some bits and bobs in a house, its a new build and the people who built it butchered the ceiling, even a light weight lamp shade pulls the ceilign roses out of the plaster board, they used rawl plugs and screws and no joist in sight! when they cut open the hole to get to the cable after it was boarded, they left just a few mm that is crumbling and is not able to support the standard 6 inch pendant.
Have seen and come across wider diameter ceiling rose / pendant sets but not 100% who stocks them.
Can't get access to ceiling from above to repair as its just been carpeted throughout!
So options are wider diameter ceiling roses or put some sort of plaster ceiling rose on then screw the standard one to this, the wider diameter will mean i can screw into decent plaster avoiding the butchered edges.
Anybody know who sells the bigger / wider pendant sets or ceiling flex outlets?

Got a job fitting some bits and bobs in a house, its a new build and the people who built it butchered the ceiling, even a light weight lamp shade pulls the ceilign roses out of the plaster board, they used rawl plugs and screws and no joist in sight! when they cut open the hole to get to the cable after it was boarded, they left just a few mm that is crumbling and is not able to support the standard 6 inch pendant.
Have seen and come across wider diameter ceiling rose / pendant sets but not 100% who stocks them.
Can't get access to ceiling from above to repair as its just been carpeted throughout!
So options are wider diameter ceiling roses or put some sort of plaster ceiling rose on then screw the standard one to this, the wider diameter will mean i can screw into decent plaster avoiding the butchered edges.
Ceiling Roses Overview Archives | UK Home Interiors - https://www.ukhomeinteriors.co.uk/product-category/ceiling-mouldings-overview/ceiling-roses-overview/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnNvaBRCmARIsAOfZq-30MpbS9m4ESQAo2VmhhrSfa2HvJZDaOcLdaMwBsQzhi2D_iUJPXJcaAsyGEALw_wcB

57873.png

In this situation I get plastic packers that wood butchers use for door linings etc and cut them down, make the hole a little bigger, put them in and hold them in place with my finger and use long screws.

Or use these https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/apple...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIiSr_OouNwCFYIX0wodIGwL8Q

If it's double boarded then you could use the ones with the red wings that you use for fire alarm bases.

Last edited:
You could maybe use a pendant patress, the type used when surface wiring with trunking. Either that or a decorative wooden base.

Similar to Lee, but insert a bit of wood through the hole fix wood with screws through the plasterboard then screw up the ceiling rose or around fast fix box the MT ones with red wings could spread the load

Sounds like it would be easier to cut a patch out, put a piece of timber in then patch it afterwards, as that will also help in the future if they want to swap the fittings again.

Sounds like it would be easier to cut a patch out, put a piece of timber in then patch it afterwards, as that will also help in the future if they want to swap the fittings again.
This is more than less what I posted but you shouldn't have to cut out beyond the diameter of the ceiling rose. Just seen Pete's video how he puts the wood in also.

Last edited by a moderator:
the upstairs lights have all been changed for spot lights so had nice wide metal brackets that solved the problem, but downstairs is where i have the problem, cant lift carpets as they have just been fitted and quite expensive!
Im thinking I may have to use some mdf discs and screw them with very long screws into a baton in the cavity above, the baton being about a 10 inches, the baton would spread out across the damaged and weak area around the hole. the disc taking the pendant fitting. 5mm mdf with a little decorators caulk will barely notice, especially since they are having light shades put on them.

What about screwing into a round dryliner?

What about screwing into a round dryliner?
the plasterboard around the hole is so thin and damaged it wouldnt take a drylining box, the numpties who did the second fix after the plasterers had been around by the looks of it went to work with a plasterboard saw and cut a random hole badly damaging the board when the painters came along it crumbled with the moisture.

cut a square section out, joist to joist, fix a patch with reinforcement.

Reply to Sources of larger than normal ceiling roses in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net