Discuss space around fire rated downlighters? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Smudge

just a quick one...a job we are downing includes installing downlighters along a corridor of a house. The void is only 90mm. I want to use fire rated 240V downlights, but before buying (from the internet) a lot of the shallower ones i'm looking at doesn't specify a clearance dimension around the fitting. Most do, ie/ 100mm, 50mm, 60mm etc etc. Is this distance determined by the manufacturer? or is there a set standard for this?

Clearance around the fitting is usually included in the instructions, but is about 50mm to allow the fitting to 'breath' , heat to dissipate (this also includes at least 25mm above the fitting). Otherwise you end up with shortened lamp life. It is rare to get a FRD (Fire Rated Downlight) with a recess height of less than 100mm.

i'd say a minimum of 4" all round as regards insulation. you can be closer than that to a joist, say 2".

so how tall are the fittings you are considering using?

Wouldn't have thought that a legitimate piece of equipment (one conforming to a british or european standard) couldn't not contain this info. Copies / lookalikes maybe but the absence of any certification would ring alarm bells with me.

in this situation i would use bell non fire rated fittings, only about 50mm tall,as long as the floor above was not separately occupied, and seriously consider LEDs. or, even better, use the sealed unit LED fittings, then nobody can fit halogens.

Last edited:
Wouldn't have thought that a legitimate piece of equipment (one conforming to a british or european standard) couldn't not contain this info. Copies / lookalikes maybe but the absence of any certification would ring alarm bells with me.

You cannot access all safety specs for lights online. ie/ clicks fire rated downlighters give the dimensions but not the clearance space, as do many others. When i tried phoning our usual wholesalers, they didn't know as they, like most wholesalers are railroaded into certain products.

i seen some 50mm ones, but the customer didnt like them. They have now chose the lights themselves which are 100mm deep. The only way round it now would be to remove the deafening boards above each light. It's all one property, so it's not affecting anyone elses living.

I have never had to go to such extremes before, is this a common practice?! and more importantly, is this allowed?!

i always do, just for a better piece of mind. Prob just a personal thing. Same as bathrooms, i always fit shower rated even if its outside zones. Just the way i've always done it.

Fare enough smudge can't argue with that. On this occasion you may have to use the less bulky none rated fittings if you can't find the right size fitting, at least you have the option.

he ain't now. customer has bought the fittings. B&Q strikes again.

or, dare we mention lightcraft. lights from £9999 to £1. as advertised on the radio station

Reply to space around fire rated downlighters? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net