Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss space around fire rated downlighters? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Smudge

Smudge Electrician's Arms

just a quick one...a job we are downing includes installing downlighters along a corridor of a house. The void is only 90mm. I want to use fire rated 240V downlights, but before buying (from the internet) a lot of the shallower ones i'm looking at doesn't specify a clearance dimension around the fitting. Most do, ie/ 100mm, 50mm, 60mm etc etc. Is this distance determined by the manufacturer? or is there a set standard for this?

2. mhar

mhar Electrician's Arms

Does it matter? If you don't fit in accordance with manufacturers instructions............

3. Bright Sparks

Bright Sparks Guest

Clearance around the fitting is usually included in the instructions, but is about 50mm to allow the fitting to 'breath' , heat to dissipate (this also includes at least 25mm above the fitting). Otherwise you end up with shortened lamp life. It is rare to get a FRD (Fire Rated Downlight) with a recess height of less than 100mm.

4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i'd say a minimum of 4" all round as regards insulation. you can be closer than that to a joist, say 2".

5. Smudge

i meant for the ones that didn't specify a clearance. I only have 90mm to play with in the space...

6. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    so how tall are the fittings you are considering using?

7. mhar

mhar Electrician's Arms

Wouldn't have thought that a legitimate piece of equipment (one conforming to a british or european standard) couldn't not contain this info. Copies / lookalikes maybe but the absence of any certification would ring alarm bells with me.

8. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    in this situation i would use bell non fire rated fittings, only about 50mm tall,as long as the floor above was not separately occupied, and seriously consider LEDs. or, even better, use the sealed unit LED fittings, then nobody can fit halogens.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  9. Smudge

You cannot access all safety specs for lights online. ie/ clicks fire rated downlighters give the dimensions but not the clearance space, as do many others. When i tried phoning our usual wholesalers, they didn't know as they, like most wholesalers are railroaded into certain products.

i seen some 50mm ones, but the customer didnt like them. They have now chose the lights themselves which are 100mm deep. The only way round it now would be to remove the deafening boards above each light. It's all one property, so it's not affecting anyone elses living.

I have never had to go to such extremes before, is this a common practice?! and more importantly, is this allowed?!

10. Paul.M

Paul.M Trusted Advisor

If its all one property why are you using fire rated? Is it in the specs or customer request?

11. Smudge

i always do, just for a better piece of mind. Prob just a personal thing. Same as bathrooms, i always fit shower rated even if its outside zones. Just the way i've always done it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Paul.M

Paul.M Trusted Advisor

Fare enough smudge can't argue with that. On this occasion you may have to use the less bulky none rated fittings if you can't find the right size fitting, at least you have the option.

13. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    he ain't now. customer has bought the fittings. B&Q strikes again.

14. Paul.M

Paul.M Trusted Advisor

There you go again Tel jumping to conclusions. Customers might be posh and got them from homebase :):):).

• Like Like x 1
  15. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    or, dare we mention lightcraft. lights from £9999 to £1. as advertised on the radio station