Discuss Sparky of 7 years looking for advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jim90

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As above after qualifying from a full NVQ apprenticeship in my 20s and 7 years down the line I feel a bit bored in my current job.

My past experiences include pretty much everything; domestic, commercial, industrial, controls (HVAC, BMS etc.), cctv, fire alarms, construction, maintenance. I even did a little stint on the Velo park installing their outside lights.
I'm currently working for a large FM firm as an electrician and there is only just so many ballasts you can change before getting bored! Although the money ain't bad!

I feel like I could be ready for a jab at going self employed / starting up a business. The only problem is my qualifications, as above I passed my NVQ however I do not hold a 2391 or equivalent or 17th Ed. amendment 3. My JIB grading was gold 'installation electrician' So would I be right in thinking I'd need:

- 17th edition updates

I believe that the NIC and NAPIT require evidence of previous jobs? How does this work without being part of their schemes?
The thought of training, buying a van, tools, stock, website, advertising etc. Seems extremely expensive. Obviously being 27 and a new homeowner I am a bit strapped for cash and obviously these things don't happen at once. I was thinking of sorting the training situation and then subbing around a bit as a sole trader. I have a few clients at the moment but not nearly enough to keep me going full time.

Any help, or a breakdown of how some of you guys reached greatness would be fantastic.

Jim

Don't know about reaching greatness Jim, most people that have been in the same job get bored at times, believe me I know.
I take it when you say you are a new home owner you have some Family commitments, so your dreams need some serious considerations, there are loads of one man bands plying their trade so it will be a difficult time to start with, you have a good job, a bit boring but it's regular money and with a mortgage that is everything Mate, think hard before you consider taking this huge jump. Good luck what ever you decide.

get the 18th when it comes out next year. forget 2396, that's design and verification. then look for a more challenging position. get it before packing in current job.

Cheers for your reply mate, much appreciated. It is true and you're right. I have been employed all my career and rarely come across something that is challenging.
I guess the climate is tough and competitive nowadays although there seems to be a significant rise in work. From an employed point of view anyway!
It will be something to think about. I might jack it in all together and maybe try some sort of electrical auto cad or something. Jumping to another job is better than jumping into nothing! Cheers guys.

if you were to take the jump into self-employed domestic work, look to a setting up cost of £10K -£20K depending on how decent a van you want; you'll be lucky to cover just your overheads in the first year; short courses are churning out unqualified muppets by the thousand. these will all take work from you. seen CU replacements as low as £150. can't compete with that and do it right.

if you were to take the jump into self-employed domestic work, look to a setting up cost of £10K -£20K depending on how decent a van you want; you'll be lucky to cover just your overheads in the first year; short courses are churning out unqualified muppets by the thousand. these will all take work from you. seen CU replacements as low as £150. can't compete with that and do it right.
Agree, well said Tel good advice. Good job you said what I was thinking, but put it very succinctly.

what's a holiday?
2 weeks of sitting in the Sun drinking fine ale, oh sorry you do that now Tel don't you, except the Sun is not always possible, bit like me really, but my vice is Vino, and of course you do still do the odd bit here and there.:grinning::yum:

Something that everybody MUST do .... whether it be a self catering cottage out of season or something more exotic ........................... that you've saved up for...
We do self catering at Home, and it's paid for:holdinghands::tongue:

correctly... see. easy.

how about antidisestablishmentarianism

Reply to Sparky of 7 years looking for advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net