Discuss SPD for dis board change in warehouse in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
With upgrading a TPN dis board in a warehouse- i am guessing I need to fit a 4pole SPD even more so with 18th edition out

I will be installing a hager 12way TPN board with a 4pole incomer kit.

Technical Properties SPN415D - https://www.hager.co.uk/product-catalogue/energy-distribution/protection-devices/surge-protection/surge-protection-1-2-4-pole/spn415d/91521.htm

where does the spd phycially go?- guessing not inside the dis board as it could do in a single phase consumer unit after the main switch and a 32a MCB

would it go between the origin and the main switch of the dis board

cheers guys

If there is room in the board you can fit a separate DIN rail or just fit another adjacent enclosure.

With upgrading a TPN dis board in a warehouse- i am guessing I need to fit a 4pole SPD even more so with 18th edition out

I will be installing a hager 12way TPN board with a 4pole incomer kit.

Technical Properties SPN415D - https://www.hager.co.uk/product-catalogue/energy-distribution/protection-devices/surge-protection/surge-protection-1-2-4-pole/spn415d/91521.htm

where does the spd phycially go?- guessing not inside the dis board as it could do in a single phase consumer unit after the main switch and a 32a MCB

would it go between the origin and the main switch of the dis board

cheers guys
There are three types of SPDD:
Type1
Type2
Type3
All described on page 41 18th OSG or even Regulation 534.4
Where does the building you intend installing the SPDD, fall within the scope of Table 3.7.2.2 OSG all these things need considering before you even start on the installation method.

If there is room in the board you can fit a separate DIN rail or just fit another adjacent enclosure.
so come out of a 32a 3 TP breaker (within the dis board) with a 6mm and a N out the N bar into a enclosure with the 4pole SPD ?

how do I decide which ka rating of SPD is needed (15ka-65ka)
-assuming dependant on my ka PFC reading?

Guidance for Connection of spds is given in appendix 16 with illustrations.
Also part 5 with regards to connection sizes etc.
For the ka rating id seek guidance from the manufacturer.
If you have a LPS then a type 1 should be installed as close to the origin as possible.
If not then a type 2 spd should be installed at the distribution board(S)
You can install type 3 devices at terminal equipment like inside FA panels etc

There are three types of SPDD:
Type1
Type2
Type3
All described on page 41 18th OSG or even Regulation 534.4
Where does the building you intend installing the SPDD, fall within the scope of Table 3.7.2.2 OSG all these things need considering before you even start on the installation method.

I would say the risk assement calc is impossible to do therfore by default SPD is required

and not sure between T1 AND T1- as it would be at the origin of installation as it will not fit in the dis board

Guidance for Connection of spds is given in appendix 16 with illustrations.
Also part 5 with regards to connection sizes etc.
For the ka rating id seek guidance from the manufacturer.
If you have a LPS then a type 1 should be installed as close to the origin as possible.
If not then a type 2 spd should be installed at the distribution board(S)
You can install type 3 devices at terminal equipment like inside FA panels etc
page 507 just what I needed thanks

Just a question for anyone who is interested, are these SPDDs sacrificial SPDDs, meaning once the have had a hit then they need changing? I ask because the ones I fitted on commercial premises, could take 2 hits after that a few more £ 100s to replace them, just saying.

Just a question for anyone who is interested, are these SPDDs sacrificial SPDDs, meaning once the have had a hit then they need changing? I ask because the ones I fitted on commercial premises, could take 2 hits after that a few more £ 100s to replace them, just saying.
What does SPDD stand for as In the 2nd D?

Pete likes his double D’s:D
I liked Double Diamond, when it was about, it worked wonders, or it did can't get it any more I don't think, A pint of Double Diamond please Barman, music to my ears when I were a Lad.

Last edited:
Detection Device then 3rd and 4th D Depends on you perspective really Doesn't?
It's the same as MCB people call breakers MCBs when in fact they are now called Circuit Breakers or CBs, not to be confused with CB radios though, I mean what do you imagine MCCB stands for?

Moulded Case Circuit Breaker
I didn’t know whether that was a genuine question or not Pete so sorry for stating the answer if it’s obvious to you?

Moulded Case Circuit Breaker
I didn’t know whether that was a genuine question or not Pete so sorry for stating the answer if it’s obvious to you?
It's obvious to me Ian was just trying to compare Capitals

Bit of a late response to this thread as the jobs probably done now, but after a discussion with the ECA technical bods I was told that a discussion with the client comparing cost of the installation of the devices, compared to what they were prepared to accept in loss of equipment that may be caused by over voltage would be sufficient to omit them from the installation if the client deemed it not required.

There are scenarios where this wouldn't be sufficient, such as installations in hospitals where loss of life could be caused if over voltage damaged equipment, or public places such as police and fire stations where loss of say computer equipment would cause major disruption. I suspect most commercial installations though would not fall into the categories where installation was mandatory, and a decision by the client on whether to go ahead with or omit them would be the final say on the matter when they weigh up the cost.

The NIC have a technical guide on this now which is available on their site and elecsa site.

Reply to SPD for dis board change in warehouse in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock