Discuss Split concentric submains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kevben

-
Reaction score
I am currently on a big flat development project (old high school being converted to 50 flats, plus a 3 phase landlord supply). I had planned on installing 25mm 3core SWA for all flat submains as the Flats are all Electric with no Gas.
However, i am now considering installing 25mm or 35mm split concentric cable as the installation method would not require RCD protection.
It seems to me to be an easier option when it comes to termination at both: the supply Main Fuse (installed via trunking at the Bemco Cupboard) & at the Flat Consumer Unit.
The area that has been designated for the Bemco Cupboard (for all 50 x Flats etc) is extremely small, hence the potential option of installing split concentric cable versus SWA.
I have come across this method of submain installation on many occasions but have i never personally installed it.

I would appreciate any advice regarding using split concentric cable & also the current capacity of such cable (some flats will be approximately 120m cable lengths).

Thanks - KevBen

Most of the concentric installations that i've seen, the terminations have all been a total mess!!
If you're going to go down that route always use heat shrink breakouts and sleeving on the cables head and tails. You can use amalgamated tape on the head, but unless you have plenty of room, that too can look a pigs ear of a job too!!

At least with SWA cables, they will be protected against accidental damage along the runs of cable from the intake room to the individual apartments...

Why would you need RCD protection if you used armoured cables ?

I had planned on installing 25mm 3core SWA for all flat submains as the Flats are all Electric with no Gas.
However, i am now considering installing 25mm or 35mm split concentric cable as the installation method would not require RCD protection.

Last edited:
So long as you don’t need RCD protection go for the split concentric.

Terminated correctly they look the dogs danglies. (Sorry E54, you don’t like the stuff, I do). It’s so much easier to handle than SWA. The sheath is as tough as old boots.

Please take care with the terminations, it’s all too easy to damage the neutral insulation.

Terminated correctly they look the dogs danglies. (Sorry E54, you don’t like the stuff, I do). It’s so much easier to handle than SWA. The sheath is as tough as old boots.

Please take care with the terminations, it’s all too easy to damage the neutral insulation.

what csa is the neutral & earth? In comparison to the Live?

The only concentric I’ve had dealing with were 35mm² solid aluminum line and equivalent hard drawn copper neutral.
Have a look on Doncaster cables web site for the CPC size.

The only time I’ve used split concentric was an office block. We normally worked to M&Q but we had exemption for this job. Due to the high loading from SMPS’s a separate CPC was run from the earth nest via the MET to each board. The incoming feed cables to the main switchboard were 4 core rather than the 3½ core we would normally have used. It was a bit of an odd bod job for me.

Working with concentric is great, you just have to be tidy in the way you break out the cable. The heat shrink boots and tubing make a great job of it.
The ones I did I used resin impregnated tape for the cable crutch. (It was a very long time ago :cyclist:) I don’t think you could get the HS break out boots then, if you could the company was as tight as a ducks bum and wouldn’t shell out for them.

I wouldn't go as far as saying i don't like Concentric cables, it's just that making the terminations can be a real ball's ache in tight spaces, and never look as neat as a well made off SWA.

Maybe because there is no data to verify the design calcs?

But on the flip side of the coin the reg states use manufactures data?

OK, I'll back track a little, & appoloigise, you cannot use Split Con as SWA, you have to treat it as FLEX.
Look at the make up of the cable and the requirements for an SWA.

I still don't believe it is acceptable under BS7671, but, it will take time to cross reference & I have a PLC to finish programming tonight, or at least try, before I am due to go out for dinner with the family.
Keep the thread alive & I will post the reasons later, though IIRC I have before.

OP, where is the metering for each flat to be located?
Makes a difference to ownership of the laterals and therefor whether they come under bs 7671 or S & D regs.

Boydy

I have never used this (and I am never likely to) and I read this thread purely out of interest, but I seem to recall someone posting a while back (may have been Engineer 54) that split concentric should only be used in transmission work by DNO's. Have I mis-read that?

I have never used this (and I am never likely to) and I read this thread purely out of interest, but I seem to recall someone posting a while back (may have been Engineer 54) that split concentric should only be used in transmission work by DNO's. Have I mis-read that?

DNO’s use concentric cable N+E combined, PME. For large supplies they use 3 core wavecon concentric. That is a sod to work with.

Split concentric the N&E are separate by virtue of the neutral conductors each having an insulating layer.

Installed and terminated correctly split concentric is fine. If it wasn’t it wouldn’t get BASEC approval.

Ok, for a start:

543.4.7 No means of isolation or switching shall be inserted in the outer conductor of a concentric cable.

So you can't isolate the N, & there are requirements where ALL live conductors must be isolated.

There are others, I'm a bit busy @ the moment so not much time to reply, sorry

Reply to Split concentric submains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net