Discuss Split lighting circuit. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

blackbob

Hi,
i'm new to the forums so don't know if i'm in the correct place.

I'm near my limit on my lighting circuit and was wondering if it could be split into two circuits without a full rewire, at the moment both upstairs and down are on one circuit, i had a new consumer unit fitted last year so plenty off space in there, the house is mostly wired with single core but also a mixture of twin and earth where new lighting has been fitted, reason i ask is i want to fit some down lighters in the lounge but i'm sure they would push the circuit over the limit.
All work will be carried out by an qualified electrician.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to split that circuit will be a pain in the butt.

Why not run a new circuit to the lounge for your downlights?

Ive always gone on the idea of 1000w per lighting circuit......so 10 lights per circuit, fused at 5 or 6 amps. However, no one uses 100w bulbs any more so more than 10 lights per circuit will be fine.

Add up the wattage being used on your present circuit. You might be surprized how low it infact is.

All the best.

It's also unlikely that you'll have more than half of your lights on at the same time.

SMB has hit the nail on the head. If you are close to or going over the circuit limit you'll have to install a new circuit for your livingroom lights. See what your electrician says when he has a look.

You say that the existing wiring is a mix of single and twin and earth. In 20 years the only singles I have seen installed are in conduit systems. The singles you are refering to have got to be much older than that.

When the consumer unit was installed was the installation fully tested and a certificate issued?

I agree with SMB. Install a new circuit just for the lounge downlights.

double insulated singles black and singles red and earth cables have been used in domestic installations since I started.....in 1985.

Not trying to be funny, its fact.

Hi again and thanks for your replies,
the house was built in 1976, the unit was tested and a certificate was issued, just done a quick calc off the lights and i get it to 1280 watts

New circuit I'm afraid (even with diversity) how close is the c/u to your lounge? Is there access from above?

Ps I use singles now and then, depends on the layout of the install.

Consumer unit in the garage which is joined onto the side of the lounge wall, what do you mean is there access from above, the bedrooms are are above.
Is it normal practice to run another circuit just for these new lights, my concern being that if i was to sell the house in the future then the new owners could end up running new fittings from both circuits and joining them.

I'd stop worrying right now mate and let your sparky worry about it.

It would be perfectly normal to supply your new lounge lighting with a new circuit.

Go put the kettle on and relax.

You may also consider installing LED downlights as they don't draw much current at all although many don't like them much. They're more expensive but you could pay for them with the money you'd save on installation labour costs. Just a thought.

Up lighters look better than down lighters.

down lights are the scourge of the domestic electrical installation.

awful things.

just my own opinion ofcourse.

Regarding access Bob, your electrician will probably lift the floor boards in the bedroom to run his cables to your new lights. As for how long is a piece of string? (twice the distance from the center) get more than one quote but the cheapest is not always the best in the long run. Everything will be fine don't worry, leave the rest to your sparky that's why we train for years to know what's best for our customers.

Ps Telectrix, your not supposed to walk on them ;)

Reply to Split lighting circuit. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock