Discuss Split load AFDD board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Zdb

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just seen that Screwfix are selling AFDDs for £200+:eek:

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/wylex...WUzod4PNZKb-wwrOVyd-2QopGUgHwpZBoCuO0QAvD_BwE

Now I know that ideally every circuit should have it's own AFDD but hypothetically could we not just split the board between two like with split load RCD boards? They incorporate RCD protection so in theory this proposed method would provide more protection than before and therefore be safer?

Opinions please

. . and would contravene manufacturers recommended usage and making them less money - how dare you, you’re a disgrace!

What a waste of money ...... zero justification ....
I can't imagine many people wanting these installed, I would be unable to justify the cost of fitting these in my own house.

The money would be far better spent on extra allowed installation time.

Does this device give any indication on what has made it trip - leakage or arc?
The Wylex ones have a test/reset button that is lit red all the time it is on. The button pops out on arc fault.

Looking at the design I assume when you are bored of it tripping you can separate and throw away the AFDD part and just use the remains as a normal RCBO?

I wish we were still installing MEM Kantark fuse boxes. It's in the name they can't arc!

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/wylex...WUzod4PNZKb-wwrOVyd-2QopGUgHwpZBoCuO0QAvD_BwE

Now I know that ideally every circuit should have it's own AFDD but hypothetically could we not just split the board between two like with split load RCD boards? They incorporate RCD protection so in theory this proposed method would provide more protection than before and therefore be safer?

Opinions please
OSG 3.8 Regulation 421.1.7 and 527.6 I would read these Regs before going to the expense of using AFDDs, as they are only a recommendation as extra protection against fire, as far as I can see.

Opinions please

As @Zdb said, these are for one circuit protection, i.e. mcb/rcbo
not a conventional RCD. So if we had an average 10 usable way CU in a residential install, that would equate to £2000+ .

Its time to start earning a mark up on materials guys. :)

Curiously, the 6A version comes up at£99.99, while all the others are £204.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/wylex-6a-30ma-dp-type-b-afdd-rcbo/150gv

At the risk of re-enacting a Monty Python scene "what did the Romans ever do for us?" ... I haven't seen evidence these devices prevent something that would otherwise be dangerous and that actually happens in homes today. I'm happy to stand in front of Customers and tell them about RCD and RCBO. And prevention of premature cable failure in the event of fire. But I'm in the dark on these gizmos o_O .

At the risk of re-enacting a Monty Python scene "what did the Romans ever do for us?" ... I haven't seen evidence these devices prevent something that would otherwise be dangerous and that actually happens in homes today. I'm happy to stand in front of Customers and tell them about RCD and RCBO. And prevention of premature cable failure in the event of fire. But I'm in the dark on these gizmos o_O .
What you need to know about Arc Fault Detection Devices (AFDD’s) - https://www.electriciancourses4u.co.uk/useful-resources/what-you-need-to-know-about-arc-fault-detection-devices-afdds/

Interesting to read in my link above these devices would appear to be blind to a fault on a ring final circuit.

I’ve read previously that they self test on installation & periodically afterwards.

Also they will detect faults on appliances connected to an RFC.

I’ve read previously that they self test on installation & periodically afterwards.

Also they will detect faults on appliances connected to an RFC.
Good question, I went to the NICEIC 18th Cinema Launch earlier on last year, and asked the very same question regarding AFDDs ability to detect faults on a RFC, the answer I got was a resounding No. Anyone else hear that? I"m sure many Members attended this show as it was free, albeit losing a morning out of your busy work schedule.

OSG 3.8 Regulation 421.1.7 and 527.6 I would read these Regs before going to the expense of using AFDDs, as they are only a recommendation as extra protection against fire, as far as I can see.
Does anyone know where this regulation is? The OSG (page 45) points us to regulation 421.1.7 and 537.6, I can find the former but 537.6 is not there, it only goes up to 537.4.4.

How many Domestic Householders will go for that option as end of day
Its a big cost on any job . I can see Housing Associations adopting it as a knee jerk reaction though

Reply to Split load AFDD board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net