Discuss Split Phase or 3 Phase in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Gasmeter65

Hi, i am rewiring a triple garage with 1st floor into a holiday cottage.

The existing property already has 2x 8.5kw showers and cottage to also have 8.5kw min shower. Also oncludes 3 cookers approx 4kw so with lights n skts approx 40 KW MAX. (over estimating it )
As this exceeds the main single phase CU rating.

( 1 half of the house is a flat with separate DB for shower cooker lights n sockets. i was thinking 3 phase as to have each DB on each phase))

The options are split or 3 phase. Has anyone come across the split phase in a domestic and if so approx costs of each.
Supply is overhead PME max length of cable 20mtrs.

Cheers

When you say 'split phase' are you talking about 180 degree split phase supply or do you mean 2 phases and neutral from a standard DNO 3-phase supply transformer?

I’ve given up even trying to explain 230-0-230/460V transformers. If it was 180° phase shift the line to line voltage would be 0V and the neutral conductor twice the size of the line.

Study transformer vector angles.

i dont want a transformer unless thats what the energy supplier is gonna fit !!

The hot water is going to be heated via a ROINTE and also 3 x wall heater aprrox 1kw each.

Im sure its gonna have to be 3 phase as its near 40kw

just waitng to hear back from supplier. just wondered about costs not a lecture lmfao

I’ve given up even trying to explain 230-0-230/460V transformers. If it was 180° phase shift the line to line voltage would be 0V and the neutral conductor twice the size of the line.

Study transformer vector angles.

I always thought the 180 was relative to the centre point?

i dont want a transformer unless thats what the energy supplier is gonna fit !!

The hot water is going to be heated via a ROINTE and also 3 x wall heater aprrox 1kw each.

Im sure its gonna have to be 3 phase as its near 40kw

just waitng to hear back from supplier. just wondered about costs not a lecture lmfao

I asked because you did not mention these loads in the OP - wouldn't a CH system be better, combi perhaps inc shower provision? (assuming of course gas is option)

I asked because you did not mention these loads in the OP - wouldn't a CH system be better, combi perhaps inc shower provision?

the garage is 10 ft away from property, so didnt consider that.
good angle to come from there thanks, but worth asking plumber if its possible.

In practice it might not make much difference if the DB's and loads are all SP+N, only a matter of how the circuits are shared between the DB's. For the same total power, you can get more flexible diversity with the loads divided into two groups rather than three, OTOH 3P is more useful for other purposes which split phase isn't. If there is 3P in the area, that would be my choice. If the HV is SP, then you will be stuck with split.

In practice it might not make much difference if the DB's and loads are all SP+N, only a matter of how the circuits are shared between the DB's. For the same total power, you can get more flexible diversity with the loads divided into two groups rather than three, OTOH 3P is more useful for other purposes which split phase isn't. If there is 3P in the area, that would be my choice. If the HV is SP, then you will be stuck with split.

Luckily there's a telegraph pole 10mtrs from property. Which also supplies the pub 2 doors away :)
Just trying to get some other ideas, hopefully the CH may be a cheaper option as long as boiler is capable

I always thought the 180 was relative to the centre point?

It’s the relationship between the secondary windings and the primary. Primary being 0°.

A standard DNO 3Ph transformer is vector group Dyn11 because red secondary leads red primary by 30° or the 11 o’clock position.

the garage is 10 ft away from property, so didnt consider that.
good angle to come from there thanks, but worth asking plumber if its possible.
Doh, just re-read this. CH is via Oil n its 40ft away. I was thinking running off existing CH!!

Although it could be an alternative option :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s the relationship between the secondary windings and the primary. Primary being 0°.

A standard DNO 3Ph transformer is vector group Dyn11 because red secondary leads red primary by 30° or the 11 o’clock position.

I am on about something like this:

Split Phase or 3 Phase Split - EletriciansForums.net

Yes that's a better pic

You will notice the secondary has current flow in alternate directions - so 180 between each phase split (line) and centre point

You don't use curent flow, you use vectors. It's standard practice.

Only in this type of transformer that confusion arrises.

PS the drawing won't be here long, I'll remove it before I go to bed.

I was trying to explain it to the best of my limited IQ - but you get what I mean, 180 degrees yes?

p.s. thanks for pm

I'm wondering how many of the Electrical Trainee reading this got to Tony's '180deg phase shift' line and then moved directly to the 'which work boots' thread... :)

Reply to Split Phase or 3 Phase in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock