Discuss Spur off a spur.... make safe with 16A MCB from ring? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just recently has some work done on a conservatory, and in the process discovered that the 2 double sockets are not part of a ring main... looks like one is a spur off the back of a ring socket in the main house, and the second is a spur off of that :eek:

So, question is, if I replace the ring socket (which we don't use) in the house with a small consumer unit enclosure (i.e shower or garage size), with the conservatory connected to a 16A MCB in this, does that make it safe?

Max load we need in the conservatory is 3.4Kw (2Kw heater on the socket nearest to the ring, 1.4Kw heater on the farthest socket), plus a few other low wattage bits like WiFi and a radio. Cabling is 2.5mm.

Follow-up question is, am I right to assume that the CU could be recessed slightly (50mm) into the wall? I know you shouldn't do this with a normal CU, but I am thinking that as it is a steel box and is only carrying ring main it's no different to a normal socket back-box in terms of fire risk.

Just recently has some work done on a conservatory, and in the process discovered that the 2 double sockets are not part of a ring main... looks like one is a spur off the back of a ring socket in the main house, and the second is a spur off of that :eek:

So, question is, if I replace the ring socket (which we don't use) in the house with a small consumer unit enclosure (i.e shower or garage size), with the conservatory connected to a 16A MCB in this, does that make it safe?

Max load we need in the conservatory is 3.4Kw (2Kw heater on the socket nearest to the ring, 1.4Kw heater on the farthest socket), plus a few other low wattage bits like WiFi and a radio. Cabling is 2.5mm.

Follow-up question is, am I right to assume that the CU could be recessed slightly (50mm) into the wall? I know you shouldn't do this with a normal CU, but I am thinking that as it is a steel box and is only carrying ring main it's no different to a normal socket back-box in terms of fire risk.

There was reg that allowed a 16a mcb

There used to be a reg that allowed sockets spurred off a ring final to be fed from a 16A mcb.
Suppose it would work subject to volt drop and loop impedance etc.
Regards S.

Just recently has some work done on a conservatory, and in the process discovered that the 2 double sockets are not part of a ring main... looks like one is a spur off the back of a ring socket in the main house, and the second is a spur off of that to

If the two double sockets in the conservatory are spurred from the existing RFC then that is incorrect, unless of course they are being fed via a Spur unit, your best bet would be to contact an Electrician to try and reconfigure the existing RFC.

Instead of replacing the socket with a consumer unit why not replace it with an fcu?..

Instead of replacing the socket with a consumer unit why not replace it with an fcu?..
Could do of course byt the load may blow the 13 Amp fuse in the FCU the OP stated that the load may be in excess of 3.5 KW I think, 3.4KW to be precise, to close to the limit without doing any calcs.

Could do of course byt the load may blow the 13 Amp fuse in the FCU the OP stated that the load may be in excess of 3.5 KW I think, 3.4KW to be precise, to close to the limit without doing any calcs.
D’oh!
I skimmed through that part due to combination of; a long day and Mr San Miguel affecting my attention span

D’oh!
I skimmed through that part due to combination of; a long day and Mr San Miguel affecting my attention span
Excuses, excuses, Mate

Reply to Spur off a spur.... make safe with 16A MCB from ring? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net