Discuss Spuring off one socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

deanomc

I have one single socket on its own from a consumer unit. (10A) (no ring) Can I swap this to a double and then spur off another double from it? It means there will be an equal number of spurs than there are sockets which I have been told is a no no. Is this true?

Thanks in advance

they're not spurs as it not a ring circuit. you will have a radial socket with 2 double outlets.

Only a 10amp MCB on that circuit? Does it only have small cable supplying the socket?

It sounds like its a radial put there for a low-current purpose (intruder alrm, boiler, etc). Even a modest load on those two sockets will trip the MCB. What did you plan to run off those (potentially) 4 sockets?

Does the CU or circuit you are adding the socket to have a RCD?

How are you intending to install the extra socket?

Last edited:
I have one single socket on its own from a consumer unit. (10A) (no ring) Can I swap this to a double and then spur off another double from it? It means there will be an equal number of spurs than there are sockets which I have been told is a no no. Is this true?

Thanks in advance
Deanomc, ask the mods for access to the trainee section, to go back to your question, what size cable has the one socket been wired in? if its 2.5 you could turn the circuit into a 20Amp radial, take a look at Appendix 15 in your copy of BS 7671.

Deanomc, ask the mods for access to the trainee section, to go back to your question, what size cable has the one socket been wired in? if its 2.5 you could turn the circuit into a 20Amp radial, take a look at Appendix 15 in your copy of BS 7671.

Never realised I was in the wring section. I'll email the the moderator. As for the wire, it is a 2.5 T&E. Thanks for the help

The current single socket is in the living room. I believe a tv, skybox, wifi box and hifi will run from them. So I need to upgrade it to a 20Amp on the RCD. Does this seem reasonable .

The current single socket is in the living room. I believe a tv, skybox, wifi box and hifi will run from them. So I need to upgrade it to a 20Amp on the RCD. Does this seem reasonable .

2.5 turn it into a 20 Amp radial with a 20 Amp OCPD (MCB) + a 30ma RCD

Reply to Spuring off one socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net