Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss sqaure d breakers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. irn-brue

irn-brue Regular EF Member

Is a type 3 sqaure d braker equivelent to a type c breaker been to house was asked to fit mcb c32 to protect an oven and hob at roughly 6kw without diversty i know its not the norm to fit type c breakers for fixed restive loads i know they are used for comercial purposes where there is a high start up current. reluctent to fit type c breaker because it trips at Type C trips between 5 and 10 times full load current.

2. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

Long as within zs digits , fit a d type . I would say 3 is a type D??

3. irn-brue

yeah was thinking that my self but d type not within zs calcs and wouldnt be happy putting d type in domestic as would take way to long to trip if fault were to occur.

4. irn-brue

does any body know what type 3 sqaure d mcb is. is it type b or c would be more inclined to fit type but if rest of board is type c then would fit that.

5. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

You don't sound fluent, but it all depends on zs what can be used.. Why not buy what's needed ???

6. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    type 3 is nearest equivalent to type D. as said, Zs will probably be too high to comply. . fit a type 2 (C).

7. irn-brue

yes gonna fit type c as within zs calcs.

8. Geoffsd

Geoffsd Guest

Type 3 is 7 to 10 x In
    Type C is 5 to 10 x In

You should fit a B unless C is actually required (which it isn't).

9. darkwood

darkwood Super Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Yes its a resistive load unlike a motor or inductive lighting there's little inrush - a type B should be adequate

10. irn-brue

may have to fit this breaker as person moving in on wed and told them it would be ready dont see it as being dangerous they supplied breaker not the norm but i dont think it breaks any regs. tin hat on! take a few more days to source another sqaure d breaker not common now days.

11. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

What is your zs

12. irn-brue

dont have tester at the moment shall be getting one tomorow i belive the max zs for type c mcb is 0.58 will have to test this tomorow and see and if results fail will just have to explain to customer that cant be fitted as if above this value wouldnt trip within the required times.

13. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

0.29 roughly for type 3, if you have to wait you have to wait..

- - - Updated - - -

Or buy a 2 way enclosure and mcb and some tails, probably cheaper..